JCM

Favorite Wheel Horse picture, past or present.

Brockport Bill

Hey Don -- nice photos of the 418s --- i have two C175 tractors - - one with Series 1 and the other Series 2 -- i checked TractorData.com to see if it's the "same" engine - - since the C175 is known for 17 hp but yours are called 418 for the 18 hp -- In fact, the site calls the c175 engine a KT17 but the kohler listed in the 418 as M18QS --- however both engines are listed with same displacement and bore and stroke -- so any insight where or how the ngine is different and where or how the 1 hp is produced -- i am not an engine guy but was sorta curious - also the c175s ended in 84 - - and the 418 is listed as 1987 production -thanks - - hope all is well

• Like 1

C-85

image.png.680a4a51d5b8906d213bd8ccfaa3ccdd.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

@C-85

That's awesome!

Love that area. 

Queechee Gorge is beautiful as is the VINS Center.  

c-series don

@Brockport Bill Hey Bill, thanks for the compliment! As far as the engines go I’m familiar with the oil issue most people know about in the Series 1 engine. I think you and I have discussed this before. I think the later C-175’s may have come with a series 2 but I’m not sure. The 417,418, and the 420 all came with the M Series, which I really like. To me they sound awesome! Lucky for me that I’m fortunate to own all three! My 417-A has a two stage blower on it and under a load it sounds bad ass! The last time I used it in deep snow I remember thinking I wish someone was there to hear how cool it sounds, not to mention how far it will throw snow. 
  As far as horsepower vs. displacement I’m no expert by any means. I just thought more hp was derived from a larger bore and stroke? I think all of those engines have the same carburetors, and the jetting in them is the same? I also don’t think anyone could tell the difference between 17 and 18 hp, heck maybe 17 and 20 hp? 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Did I share these pictures in this thread?  We had a family Christmas a couple of years back.  Mrs. P’s Senior was a main staple of the day, with hood (sleigh) rides, etc.  We were building a snowman, throwing snowballs, etc.  The blue hue picture captured a great background blur like a classic winter picture.  

C53BC224-F453-4DB4-BBF7-2D043D928DC0.jpeg

F26221A9-2B67-4CB0-BB07-2400EE6CEA3B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Brockport Bill
2 hours ago, c-series don said:

@Brockport Bill Hey Bill, thanks for the compliment! As far as the engines go I’m familiar with the oil issue most people know about in the Series 1 engine. I think you and I have discussed this before. I think the later C-175’s may have come with a series 2 but I’m not sure. The 417,418, and the 420 all came with the M Series, which I really like. To me they sound awesome! Lucky for me that I’m fortunate to own all three! My 417-A has a two stage blower on it and under a load it sounds bad ass! The last time I used it in deep snow I remember thinking I wish someone was there to hear how cool it sounds, not to mention how far it will throw snow. 
  As far as horsepower vs. displacement I’m no expert by any means. I just thought more hp was derived from a larger bore and stroke? I think all of those engines have the same carburetors, and the jetting in them is the same? I also don’t think anyone could tell the difference between 17 and 18 hp, heck maybe 17 and 20 hp? 

yes, the c175 Series 1 that I have is '83 -- and the Series 2 is 1984, the last yr of the C175 -- then apprently when WH changed body styles from my Blackhoods they also went to the 18 hps when they added the new 300-400-500 series body designs -  I had never seen the designation of M18QS --- but i was mostly curious since the displacement bore - stroke per TractorData.com was same as the KT17 --- wonder how they found that extra ONE HP for the 418?? The 400 series are terrific -- but i do favor the Kohler over the Onan for simplicity - - and oh yeah -- like you, i love when that twin gets that "throaty" deep sound when under load !!! I have one small hill when i mow and just love that power sound. Right now i am finishing install of new hydro hoses on the Series 2 ( nightmare project) - For winter the Series 1 will have a plow and the S2 a blower on it - Just finished the last mow and leafing on friday - time for mower decks to come off for cleaning and storage..................... I also just completed a rehab of a 42 side discharge deck that had been abandoned by a former owner left outside for many years ---  it had sand blast, new paint, rebuilt spindles, new wheels, new blades, new decals, new underneath anchor plates, new hardware etc! Its going to my daughters house.

wh 42 sd top view  rehabbed  From C165.jpg

wh 42 SD rehab from C165 bottom view.jpg

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

M-18 uses all the same internals as a Series 2 KT 17.  Same carb also only difference is the ignition system.  M-18 is a magneto setup (nicer no points and timing to worry about)

The extra 1 hp??? maybe the better timed stronger spark???  Or more likely, creative marketing

• Like 2

ebinmaine
52 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

M-18 uses all the same internals as a Series 2 KT 17.  Same carb also only difference is the ignition system.  M-18 is a magneto setup (nicer no points and timing to worry about)

The extra 1 hp??? maybe the better timed stronger spark???  Or MORE LIKELY, CREATIVE MARKETING

That was my first thought.  

Looking back at the 953/1054 and the Raider 9 and Raider 10. 

Both model comparisons has the same engine. 

Seems reasonable to me that the later 17 and 18 may follow a similar path.  

• Like 2