Wayne0

Motion control

Wayne0

Probably a stupid question, but on both my '84 Workhorse and my 520H I have to hold the lever to maintain speed. Also, in reverse, the 520 is half as fast as the Workhorse. Ideas? TIA.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

A common problem.  There are some fixes to what you have.  The Hydro guys need to check in here..

• Like 1

rmaynard

Can't tell you anything about the Workhorse, but proper adjustments to the  520's linkage and cam plate can get more movement in the reverse direction, thereby increasing speed. Tightening the tension nut on the cam plate of the 520 can help keep it from moving on it's own. You might also have a lot of slop in the linkage that would not allow it to reverse all the way.

Also, a foot control fixes all.

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Wayne0 said:

Probably a stupid question

Definitely not. There are a number of reasons for lack of positive, full-range motion control. Most are readily resolved.

You should begin with the steps on Page 13 of the Eaton 11 service manual here. Simple wear in the mechanism is the most common. For example, the cam plate can become wallowed out so that it no longer moves the hydro motor control arm fully.

I'll add one other note. When looking at the linkage under the center plate, be sure there is nothing interfering with the full range of its travel.

• Like 2

Wayne0

Thanks guys. When the weather warms up, I'll get into it.

• Like 3

953 nut

Take a look under the cover over your motion control mechanism. Mine was full of nut shells and rodent nesting and wouldn't go to full forward or back.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1