ineedanother

10 pinion LS into a C-160

ineedanother

Questions for the braintrust...

I have a rough C-160 w/hydro lift that I would like to put together as a dozer, but it has a bad axle (I have a replacement) and an ear busted from the gearbox (I have a replacement side case). Splitting that case to repair might be unnecessary because I have a no-name Auto-12 without a job that I believe has a 10-pinion LS w/1 1/8" axles. Would the gear box from the Auto-12 bolt right up to the C-160 hydro and would that LS be a good fit for what I need? :confusion-shrug:

daveoman1966

Short answer...YES.  There MAY be some external linkage swaps to be made, but the hydro and gear box should be an easy swap.  

The 1973 (no-name) 12hp Auto has Sundstrand model 90-1136.  The C-160 Auto s/b Sundstrand 90-1140.  

• Like 4

squonk

I have the trans out of a 73 as a spare  ( 90-1136) for my 76 C-160 (90-1140) I would have to look again to be sure but I'm pretty sure the transmissions are the same externally.  There is a newer model Hydro (90-1173) that uses an external brake band so that one would need some mods.

• Like 1

ineedanother
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I have the trans out of a 73 as a spare  ( 90-1136) for my 76 C-160 (90-1140) I would have to look again to be sure but I'm pretty sure the transmissions are the same externally.  There is a newer model Hydro (90-1173) that uses an external brake band so that one would need some mods.

Those are the exact years and models that I'm referring to :thumbs: Is it an option to acquire and install hydro lift on the 1136 or would it be a matter of swapping the 1140 onto that gear box?

pfrederi

You will need to take the implement relief vave out of the unit with lift and put it in the non lift unit.  note you have to swap positions with the charge pump relief valve.  Hard to explain but clearly laid out in the Sunstrand manual page 35.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1