Pullstart
42 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:eusa-clap:

Wow... You got some fabricating competition there... :scared-eek:

More like fabrication inspiration!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8ntruck

I like the chalk/water/kerosene leak check method.

• Like 2

ri702bill

That girl has an incredible set .... of shop tools along with design and fabrication skills. I'd be happy to have the powered rotary chuck to do seamless circular welds, nevermind the CNC plasma cutter!! There must have been over $1000 dollars in flat plate alone......

Her presentation emphasizes the need to think a design completely thru before cutting metal. Leaving the hydraulic cylinder out could be a costly show stopper. Her willingness to admit the error shows her strength in character - and highlights the danger of working alone - all too easy buy into a design with a major flaw - you can't see the forest for the trees. We did our designs mostly alone, but always asked a colleague to look over the design and calculations prior to having a formal Design Review presentation with the Customer. That was NOT the time to get bagged with a critical design error or omission - those can knock you down the foodchain in a hurry!!!

I am impressed with her use of the fume extractor while welding. For the most part, professional welders and bodymen do not live to retirement age.....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
46 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

working alone

You can see clips of other hands, running the cherry picker, etc.  I get what you mean however, that person might have zero technical skill.  I can’t imagine the cost of her shop, but she’s doing it right!

• Like 1

ri702bill
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

I get what you mean however, that person might have zero technical skill.

Kevin - I figured someone else - maybe the person with the camera was operating the shop crane, out of view. Good job too, no cussin' !! :bitch:

Two jobs ago, I worked with a middle aged guy that was a good machinist and assembler. After a couple of years working there, he gave his two week notice that he was leaving and had another job to go to. I asked what was up - he had a great offer closer to home, but it came with a price. He was going to be an "All-around" guy - design, machine, fabricate, assemble, wire and do the PLC programming. He was going to a precious metals company - their production equipment was all built in house, they farmed nothing out. I cautioned him the danger of the "forest and the trees" designing - told him to feel free to contact me with any "questions" Fast forward about 5 years, I ran into him at a trade show. I asked how the metals job was working out. Seems it didn't - he got painted into a corner by his own hand in the 11th hour a week before the startup. They gave him the quick toss out the door.....

I've only met two "All-around" guys in my career. One started his own contract company, the other became a Technical College instructor....

One thing I learned about Companies that insist on hiring someone to take a project soup-to-nuts. They are looking to hire "The Guy that can Walk on Water", but are willing to cough up enough pieces of silver to buy an Apostle.....:handgestures-thumbdown:

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3

Pullstart

@ri702bill That could be the reason I’m never organized or finished with a project.  I have a couple cars to work on, did a water heater service call this morning, and I’m ‘bout to go tarp a roof so it’ll quit leaking until the insurance job starts.  Tools for every job, but no rhyme or reason.  I need about 14 different job shop trailers for one guy!  :lol:

I’m nowhere near an apostle, let alone walk on water… but people tell me I should charge for miracles, but I generally offer discounts and freebies, when I don’t see my own value.  I’ll have 150+ miles on my last two days’ service and have billed $60 total.  :hide:

Edited by Pullstart

ri702bill
15 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

have 150+ miles on my last two days’ service and have billed $60 total.

Hardly covers the cost of fuel.... at least get a home cooked meal out of it !!!

• Like 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

, but I generally offer discounts and freebies, when I don’t see my own value.  I’ll have 150+ miles on my last two days’ service and have billed $60 total.

Are you insured? An actual registered business? Pay taxes? advertise? etc etc?

If you're not now and interested in doing so I can possibly help you with some advice on that stuff. If you're doing it for a living you should be. By being a registered and insured company that means you can get the work and the good customers willing to pay normal and/or premium fees for the services you provide. If you're doing it more of a helpful hobby type of thing there are still some things to consider. Be sure to CYA just in case something or someone goes wrong! Consider making the services you are knowledgeable about, good at and do the most be the bread and butter work which pays all the bills and your salary. Some of the other stuff can be done with some good will and lower prices at a minimum of break even which may seem like a loss at the time, but it really builds the trust and customer base quickly. It pays off 2 fold or more in the long run.

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I am registered with the municipality as a general services provider.  I do pay taxes and my business doesn’t require liability insurance based on the sole proprietorship/LLC.  I realize there are other types of insurances and bonding.  I do not have any licensing and am upfront with customers regarding that.  I do abide by code when applicable and go above and beyond minimum requirements as needed as well.  

• Like 1