Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

My John Deere L running

T-Mo

I probably posted videos of this tractor here before, but I put it in the shed out back and the other day decided it was time to take it for a spin.  So after driving it around the property a couple of times (sorry, no video on that) I pulled out my phone and shot this little video of it running.  I had just turned the fuel off and was letting it run out of gas, and then decided to shoot this little video.  BTW, it takes about 5 minutes for this to die after turning off the fuel.

I would like to get the correct rear rims and tires, but the rims are hard to find and expensive when you find them, as well as the tires themselves aren't cheap.  The tires on it are foam filled and are 8.25-20s.  I found some new tires pretty reasonable in this size, but removing the foam will probably be an adventure.

I don't know the year as the ID tag is missing, but since it's a JD engine and not a Hercules and since it's electric start, 1941 to 1946 is my best guess.

Don't laugh at the battery box, I had some plywood lying around and threw this together to keep the battery in place.  But I only use the battery to start it, and disconnect it when after it starts since it will run on the magneto.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi

I had to remove a foam filled tire from my finish mower.  Sawzall and a lot of 4 letter words...

peter lena

@T-Mo  sweet looking / sounding  unit there , why run it out of fuel ? get some STA BIL fuel treatment in there , and assist starting / running ?  those older units are in a totally different class  , no excuses needed for anything .pete

T-Mo
12 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@T-Mo  sweet looking / sounding  unit there , why run it out of fuel ? get some STA BIL fuel treatment in there , and assist starting / running ?  those older units are in a totally different class  , no excuses needed for anything .pete

The only other way to kill the engine is to ground out the magneto, which I have done from time to time, or remove a spark plug wire.  Letting it run out of gas empties the carb and is probably the best way.  I thought about putting a kill switch to the magneto, but hadn't done it.  There is a grounding tab on the magneto, but I need to clean the contacts a bit better for it to work better.  And I have STABIL in the tank already and each time I put gas in it, it gets another shot of it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

T-Mo
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

I had to remove a foam filled tire from my finish mower.  Sawzall and a lot of 4 letter words...

I saw a youtube video of someone removing foam from a tire, and yes, sawzall was used.  It didn't look easy, and I'm hoping there is are inner tubes in the tires so that stuff doesn't have to be removed from the rims with a lot of grinding, etc.

T-Mo

Here is a video of it just driving it a couple of times around the driveway.  Getting on and off on these isn't easy, especially the older I get.

Also noticed the left rear tire is on backwards....that was done by a previous owner.  And you can see how bald that tire is.

• Like 2

sergeant

Terry where did you find that L Originally ? Down there Mo or Up In Iowa

Edited by sergeant

Sparky

She sounds great! I love listening to old machinery chugging :D

6wheeler
6 hours ago, T-Mo said:

I would like to get the correct rear rims and tires, but the rims are hard to find and expensive when you find them, as well as the tires themselves aren't cheap

Here's an idea for you? Have the centers taken out of the current rims and welded into new/newer tubless rims. That way you can pick which rubber you want. Plus? You can get a different offset if you want.  And? I am sure you know it. But? You can put it in the shed and drain the gas out of the bottom of the carb. if you don't want to let it run out on its own. lookin good though.   Good Luck

Edited by 6wheeler