Raposo

523DXI Aux light bulb identification

Raposo

Can anyone tell me the bulb base type needed for the optional marker lights on a 5XI ? Picture below for reference. 

4293D483-608F-4146-B8A0-4F6524C86B44.jpeg

gwest_ca

If the bulb has wires coming out of the base most likely a 158, 168 or 194 bulb with the differences being the wattage.

All I can find

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The part number may be 109045 and standard equipment on the later models.

109045 bulb is a 194 (all glass with wires)

• Like 1

Raposo

I purchased 194 bulbs and bulb sockets and those are too small and have 4 prongs that turn into the housing instead of the two that are in the factor housing. The kit is $70 plus shipping, just figured i would get the sockets and wire them in. 

Damien Walker
On 2/26/2023 at 2:22 PM, Raposo said:

I purchased 194 bulbs and bulb sockets and those are too small and have 4 prongs that turn into the housing instead of the two that are in the factor housing. The kit is $70 plus shipping, just figured i would get the sockets and wire them in. 

Did you resolve this? I too am looking for the correct bulb holders....made the same mistake as you did!

Edited by Damien Walker
  • Like 1

Damien Walker

Just after I posted my previous comment, I had a bit of a brain wave.....they use the same fitting in the rear lights.

All we now (still) have to do is identify them and then we can go buy them! They look vaguely familiar to me so I think I may call into our local vehicle scrapyard and see what I can find....

• Like 1

Damien Walker

No joy at the scrapyard unfortunately but I had another look at the rear lights....made by Truck-Lite. I trawled through their website and think I have identified the rear light unit, it's a Truck-Lite 25766R. 
See here: https://www.truck-lite.com/25766r.html

These apparently use 'plug' type 94940

See here: https://www.truck-lite.com/94940-3.html

and they take #194 bulbs.

So assuming they are actually the same as those in the front side lights, I think that's all we need to know.

We have a Truck-Lite depot in the UK so I'll ring them tomorrow and see if I can get a set....and will report on whether i have been successful. :)

• Like 1

Damien Walker

So I actually filled in Truck-Lite's Contact Us page.......and after two days, there's no response. Today, I phoned them and the response was: 'There is nobody available to answer your call, please leave your message after the tone'......which I did, and there's still no response.

There is a possibility that they go home at lunch on a Friday and so there's a remaining glimmer of hope that they might contact me next week, but we shall see!

Damien Walker

A quick Iinternet search yields many sources in the US...the cheapest I have found is: https://allmakestruckparts.com/pigtail-12-wht-m-c-socket-12-32-wire-tl-94940/

Unfortunately, despite our countries being generally friendly, it seems that no-one wants to ship a couple of these to me in good old blighty. Most organisations will simply not ship to the UK, though I did find a source who would allow me to hand carry from their shop in Ohio and another who would ship for a mere $49 which I though was bizarrely expensive for such a tiny parcel!

It is not the first time I have experienced this and I think I know the reason...and that is that our government is now insisting that overseas traders register for a UK V.A.T. number which quite understandably, most of your traders have little interest in doing! The reason for this demand is to try to protect UK business from the flood of untaxed items coming in from China via eBay and Amazon and, with organisations of this size, charging UK tax at source is an easy thing to administer....but not so for a truck parts supplier who might want to ship to the UK once every 50 years or so! Sale declined!

My argument is quite simply that overseas traders with only a small amount of UK trade fall a long way outside UK government jurisdiction and should ship the product regardless, leaving the payment of tax to UK Customs if they catch the parcel, or the customer if Customs don't. We are hardly likely to send the Royal Navy to blockade your ports for the untaxed shipment of $3 worth of bulb holders that aren't obtainable in the UK from a trader who needs protection against this heinous violation are we! (Actually, we do have one remaining Vulcan bomber that is nominally airworthy....we might send that to bomb you into submission I suppose).

Now that I have vented my spleen on this frankly idiotic and down right unfriendly UK government policy, I shall retire to read my stash of old Wheelhorse brochures and think serene thoughts......hopefully the data I have found about these bulb holders is useful to you guys on the other side of the pond :)

Damien Walker

I found a supplier on a certain popular auction site and whilst they were relatively expensive, they would at least ship to me in the UK.....and they arrived today!

N.B. it seems that 94940 is the correct bulb holder for the 25766R red marker lamp but they are not exactly the correct bulb holder for the headlights...but you can make them fit.

The red marker lamp uses a four lug bulb holder whereas the headlights have two lugs. Just to confuse things (and why I have arguably bought the wrong ones)  Trucklite/Toro have used two lug bulbholders for the rear lights on the 5xi tractor. I assumed I was buying the same bulbholder, and that was as advertised on their website for the 25766R red marker lamps!

20230315_232131.jpg.b819c900622dd14322861e8fe1d017f8.jpg20230331_120204.jpg.d89572adfbc23d4e6213e0df518c7eb7.jpg

Damien Walker

The 94940 four lug bulbholders are made of soft rubber (the two rear lamp bulbholders are hard plastic) and so the two extra lugs can simply be sliced off with a scalpel. I also widened the slot in the two remaining bayonet lugs because I have difficulty in getting the bulbholder to turn and latch into place.

I wired the new lights using crimp on piggy back 1/4" spade connectors which means you can make this modification without changing the original wiring loom.

Clearly they know work (see photo) but as it is daylight here I cannot comment on their effectiveness and whether this was worth doing!

If anyone should find out the part number for the two lug bulbholders as used on the four lug rear lamps, then I would like to hear about it.

20230331_123529.jpg