ineedanother

Gasket punch

ineedanother

Nothing earth shattering here but I tend to cut my own gaskets at times and the long straight edges are one thing but the bolt holes are another story. I cut a gasket for a fuel pump this morning and considered drilling the 1/4" holes but they always end up being shaggy and a bit of a pain to do. I looked around the shop and considered several thing and landed on filing the teeth from a tool chest key and using it like a cigar punch. One or two hits on a hard surface works pretty well :thumbs:

IMG_0582.jpg.e183544bd2442595ca3cf110340ac853.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

HF has a hole punch set has different sizes, I use mine for a many different things. It is at a good price.

• Like 2

Oldskool

Looks like that was the key to success.

Good repurpose. 

Those kits are fairly inexpensive. Worth the investment.

Before I had mine I would cut straight in from the edge with scissors then cut my bolt hole. It was never really "round" lol.

ineedanother
56 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

HF has a hole punch set has different sizes, I use mine for a many different things. It is at a good price.

I think I'll do that. I need to go by there anyway to see what else I can't live without :eusa-think:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I go in for a $10.00 item and end up spending a $100.00.

• Haha 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, ineedanother said:

I think I'll do that. I need to go by there anyway to see what else I can't live without :eusa-think:

I walk in for a hole kit I know I'm gonna walk out with a sandblaster...:lol:

• Haha 2

Oldskool

That HF is a dangerous place to go in with anymore money then you are wanting to spend at that moment.

I had been lucky. It has kept its distance from me (70 miles).

Now I'm in trouble. They are opening a new store by the end of April.

8 miles from my work. I will probably be destitute by the end of the summer. 😅😅

I'll be on line gathering up coupons to buy stuff I'll never need or use. .🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pacer

Couple wks ago I walked out with a huge grin on -- went there for welding rods and despite staying 30-40 mins I left with only the rods!!! Think that was a first!

That gasket punch set is worth twice the cost, super handy tool......

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ranger

If you can find a piece of tube the right size for the hole, file a chamfer on the inside of the tube, this gives a clean cut to the hole. If its ‘discs’ of the material you’re after, file the chamfer onto the outside of the tube, this puts the clean edge on the disc. Another thing to consider is after marking out the gasket, punch the holes first, then cut the inside profile, finally the outside. I find this works better than cutting the outside profile first, less chance of damaging the, usually narrow sides of most gaskets. If you own a lathe, you can make whatever size you need in minutes, use an old piece of copper or lead sheet, or hardwood as an anvil, then you won’t damage the punch.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Wayne0

I've been making my own punches out of EMT and asst. pipe for years. Sharpen the end and back it up with a piece of hard (Yellow) pine.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1