quent pye

Where does the clutch spring go

quent pye

I have a wheel horse tractor and I'm trying to figure out where the spring goes for the clutch 

IMG_20230214_165053877.jpg

IMG_20230214_165047767.jpg

IMG_20230214_165025135.jpg

• Like 2

Sparky

The spring goes on the arm in your first picture. The other end goes to a gusset on the top of the transmission axle housing, it has a small hole in it for the loop on the end of the spring. 

26E71057-A308-4603-98E2-52157D6ECFA7.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

quent pye

Does it have to be a strong spring?

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

Yes, the spring is what applies tension to your drive belt. Here is a link to the correct spring,     https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/1014-spring-for-wheel-horse/

I put a loop of wire very tightly clamped in a pair of vise grip pliers and then over the end of the spring to give myself a good hold when installing the spring. Learned this after the very strong spring shot off when my plain pliers lost their grip.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

quent pye

Ok thanks so much

• Like 2

Pullstart

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

peter lena

@quent pye  notice nothing mentioned  about lubrication ? second picture , note end of lift arm bushing ? bone dry , no aerosol lubricant in / on the bronze bushings / both sides ?  would also bet that any related linkage to that entire clutch set up is rusty / dry . consistently hiding in plane site , is rusty drag , dust , grinding / creaking , binding . especially like the , clutch pedal , jumping bind. also notice the tiny bearing in the idler pulley ? loose fitting  trunnion on related linkage ? last photo ? this and more adds up to , a collection of  disfunction . only my opinion  , but none of those areas / opportunities , exist on my horses . currently bringing back another one , every  movement point , actually moves , greasy , pete    

• Like 1

peter lena

@Sparky  noting your response to the clutch spring issue , notice that ill fitting trunnion / linkage  ?  great spot for a screw on heim joint , bombproof and smooth , also rusty dust on slide spring side to linkage ? little bit of tweaking , make that free and smooth , like a wire wrap and silicone grease , also do that on plow lever connection wire , pete

• Like 1

peter lena

@Horse Newbie  suggestions made to replies above , found more than often than not , COLLECTIVE ISSUES TO A PROBLEM,  not just on an obvious spot . linkages are loaded with collective drag , add them all up and you , have poor response or  failure . recently doing over a horse , practically anything I  look at is neglect , and poor function . thats why I  stay after my 3 horses , everything works easily / reliably like it should . regular  look arounds , keep me in touch with  horse coditition . pete

• Like 1