John2189

Apple trees

John2189

My two 35 + year old apple trees are dying, one red one yellow about 150 feet apart. I have no idea what kind they are, we don’t eat them but the deer does. Im going to cut them both down, My question is what kind should I replant, how long will it take to get apples and is spring best time to plant? 

SPINJIM

Your choice of variety depends on your taste and what is available this time of year.   Best time for planting is in the fall, so that the roots have time to settle in over the winter.  Second best would be very early spring, as soon as the ground thaws.   If you plant in the spring, you have be extra sure to water them frequently once you get into the hot weather.   You should have a few apples by the second year, if you can find a tree at least 6" tall.   Don't buy one of the trees you might see advertised on line that show a mature tree, but end up shipping you one only 3 feet tall.   I prefer red apples like the Macintosh or Honeycrisp, but my favorite is the Empire (like a Macintosh, but a little sweeter).   Don't bother with the Delicious apple;  they're good for market apples because they hold up in shipping, but they have very little flavor.  You'll have to shop around.  Might ask a local orchard grower where they buy their young trees.   Good luck.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM

Ed Kennell

C’mere deer! - non tractor related discussion - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

Some good info in this thread starting with post 157.

Planting good matching pollinators that bloom at the same time are a must to get apples.    And bees are needed or plant them close enough for the wind to pollinate.         The warm late winter temps that cause early budding that eventually freeze is the killer of my apples.        I would plant a variety that has a late season bloom that may help to prevent early budding before the last frost. 

Pollination Charts for Fruit-bearing Trees and Shrubs | My Garden Life

John2189

Thanks for the info. The plant nurseries are not open yet so when they do ill go see what they have available 

stevasaurus

I would get in touch with either Ohio University or Ohio State agricultural department.  In Illinois, the university of Illinois agricultural department is out standing for giving you information about what to grow in your state and how to take care of it.  I contacted them for my grapes for making homemade wine.  The Ohio schools probably have a web site and contact information...they should be an excellent source of information and will probably even have pamphlets.   :USA:

• Like 1

John2189
8 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I would get in touch with either Ohio University or Ohio State agricultural department.  In Illinois, the university of Illinois agricultural department is out standing for giving you information about what to grow in your state and how to take care of it.  I contacted them for my grapes for making homemade wine.  The Ohio schools probably have a web site and contact information...they should be an excellent source of information and will probably even have pamphlets.   :USA:

Thanks I’ll check them out 

• Like 1