TJ5208

520-8 Diff

TJ5208

In the time ive owned my 520-8 Ive noticed both tires spin not just one. I can take the tractor across a steep hill both tires still spin i can put our big trailer on it and both tires still spin. Ive never noticed on wheel spinning that probably explains why ive never had it stuck. I know it still has the stock tranny. I know my 520 has a open diff im just trying to figure out why it locks.

Pullstart

It could just be equal amounts of traction or slip..

• Like 1

squonk

Raise both tires off the ground. Put in neutral. Spin one tire by hand. The other tire will spin in the opposite direction. That means it's a open differential. If they spin together and appeared locked, someone put an older 6 speed LS trans in it.

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
4 hours ago, squonk said:

If they spin together and appeared locked, someone put an older 6 speed LS trans in it.

Or simply the differential from a 6 speed or LSD hydro..

• Excellent 1

TJ5208
4 hours ago, squonk said:

Raise both tires off the ground. Put in neutral. Spin one tire by hand. The other tire will spin in the opposite direction. That means it's a open differential. If they spin together and appeared locked, someone put an older 6 speed LS trans in it.

They spin in the opposite direction.

• Like 2

kpinnc
4 hours ago, TJ Salyers said:

They spin in the opposite direction.

It's an open differential then.

And since its an 8-pinion, dang near bulletproof. 

The LSDs definitely improve traction, but are more susceptible to damage from misalignment due to wear. Even more so when linked to a big Onan P220.

Some have welded up the diff so as to make the rear posi track. While that may benefit competition pullers, it degrades regular use of the tractor because the steering sucks. 

Sounds like yours performs well as it is.

• Like 3

Pullstart
6 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Some have welded up the diff so as to make the rear posi track.

There’s a trick too to flip half the pinions, effectively locking them together.  I thought about it for the snowmotractor but figure the same, it works fine the way it is.  That is, when it’s not sitting in my shop getting worked on while it’s snowing…

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

when it’s not sitting in my shop getting worked on while it’s snowing

Better get with it, Pakistani Phil only gives us sex more weeks of winter.  :handgestures-thumbupright:    Better get out there and play in the snow while you can.

• Haha 2

WHX??
20 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Pakistani Phil only gives us sex more weeks of winter.  :handgestures-thumbupright:   

Where can I get a Pakistani Phil!?!?:laughing-rolling:

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

TJ5208
9 hours ago, kpinnc said:

It's an open differential then.

And since its an 8-pinion, dang near bulletproof. 

The LSDs definitely improve traction, but are more susceptible to damage from misalignment due to wear. Even more so when linked to a big Onan P220.

Some have welded up the diff so as to make the rear posi track. While that may benefit competition pullers, it degrades regular use of the tractor because the steering sucks. 

Sounds like yours performs well as it is.

It does help with pulling. It steers well so it only locks in a straight line. 

Edited by TJ Salyers