grinchsr

Oil Extractors

grinchsr

Is anyone using an extractor for their hydro oil changes?  I don't like playing on the garage floor much anymore and pulling the drain plug I am looking for something easier.  I am wondering how much oil you are getting out of it and are you getting to the bottom of the case with the suction tube going down the dip stick tube.  Even pulling the drain plug we are not getting all the oil out

Alex175

I bought one about 12 or 13 years ago just like the one in the picture below.  At the time I had a 97 Saab 900 and the transmission in those didn't have a drain plug, you would have to drop the whole pan if you wanted to change your fluid.  Since I was working at a NAPA at the time I was able to get it for a decent price and give it a shot since my transmission was acting up and I was trying to do the job myself with a lift.  It worked perfectly, spent less on the evacuator than I would have to bring it to a shop, and I still had the tool afterwards.  I used it once on my C-175 hydro to change the transmission oil and it seemed to get the vast majority of the fluid.  I've also used it to clear out gas tanks, and other odd jobs here and there.  It's now starting to show it's age, and the majority of that is probably from me putting the gas through it, but for over a decades worth of work, I was quite happy with the investment.

evacuator.PNG.2fb401e4b5409829fbf4c3732899a2d7.PNG

• Like 3

ri702bill
31 minutes ago, Alex175 said:

and I still had the tool afterwards.

My FIL ran an automotive repair garage back in the 70's and 80's. We decided to flip a few used cars - he did the mechanical work, I did the body work....

We always looked for a different challange each time we bought one - each car would require purchasing a new tool to fix it and that was figured into the sale price of that car. All the cars got sold, still have the tools...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3

grinchsr

Thanks for  the responses.  I just ordered a Mityvac

• Like 2