OutdoorEnvy

Stator AC wires- Repair or Replace?

OutdoorEnvy

So when I did the rebuild on my K241s for the C-100 one of the mistakes I made was not realizing the stator wires were not with the stator!  I know that is pretty dumb but I didn't notice the whole time till the system wasn't charging and then realized why.

So is this repairable to reattach the wires, or new wires?  I do have a soldering iron.  Never actually had this issue before.  The old AC wires are on the tractor and appear they were pulled out of the stator.  Or am I better off getting a new stator, and if so are aftermarkets decent quality? 

Went through some old photos of the project and here it is...plain as day with no wires...

spacer.png

WHX??

I might be able to repair the mess but the first thing that comes to mind is a bath. For every thing involved. Wwwaayy too much dirt in the way to properly evaluate. 

• Like 1

OutdoorEnvy

@WHX??  yeah I cleaned it up before reassembly.  I haven’t popped off the cover and flywheel yet so a new pic may be in order.  The wires look like they were pulled out and not cut. But wanted to have a plan before getting it out.  

• Like 1

Blasterdad

Personally I would try to rewire it, clean it up & LIGHTLY sand the tops of the stator.

Find where the wires attached to the windings. You have to scratch off the coating on the end of the wire before trying to attach the wires to it.

I recently repaired the windings on an electric clutch, the wires were crimped on the windings from the factory, so I did the same thing.

If you solder or crimp them just heat shrink the connection so they don't touch anything & ground out.

It's worth a shot, you're not out anything but your time...:thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
7 minutes ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

yeah I cleaned it up before reassembly

Good start... so if you can find the two viable ends to the stator and can solder some wires on ... double shrink wrap those connections. Read through  the windings with a dmm to make sure everything is kosher.  Specs on what you should read might be in the manual. 

• Thanks 1

Blasterdad
Just now, WHX?? said:

Good start... so if you can find the two viable ends to the stator and can solder some wires on ... double shrink wrap those connections. Read through  the windings with a dmm to make sure everything is kosher.  Specs on what you should read might be in the manual. 

:text-yeahthat: 

• Thanks 1

pacer

You can re-connect them - its a pain in the rear to me - or you can get a new (or used) off the bay for around $30 free ship. There are literally dozens of them to chose from

Picture 4 of 12

Edited by pacer
  • Like 2

OutdoorEnvy

@pacer  well I’m going to find out how painful I find it.  We’ll see how it goes.  I noticed some come with a regulator too.  Not sure if the one on the tractor works.

Any thoughts on amp size if I do end up ordering one?  Looks like most are 15 but other options too.

WHX??

I was going to suggest replace but it's the challenge to repair. Even better when it sometimes works when I'm done...:lol:

• Like 1