atrerice

Tire Chain Installation

atrerice

This is my first winter with the 314-8 and plowed the driveway a few days ago after the first decent snow we've gotten here in Michigan this winter.  I realized the wheel weights weren't quite enough though.  I tried installing the tire chains that came with it and I can't figure out how to attach them.  Anyone have an idea how these attach?  The hooks on these chains don't look anything like what I've seen in youtube videos.  

Thanks in advance!

Art

20221218_154637.jpg

20230125_201546.jpg

• Like 1

lynnmor

Maybe this photo will help:

hook.jpg.517010be153cc40ae6a636447038732a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

That latch is the over-center style and works quite well. Per the picture above, the regular chain link on the right goes over the the latch and down into the LOWER notch by the left pinky finger. Rotate the latch to the left, down into and below the link that is held with the thumb and finger. Slide the small oval lock up into the UPPER notch. It is now closed.

A bit of advise. Use a zip tie to keep the oval lock in place when done - I had one loosen - once. Deflate the tire and mount the chain AS TIGHT as you can get it, re-inflate the tire - the chain should be tightly in place. Be sure the cross link connectors are facing out - if not, your chain is inside out.

Bill

P1010176.JPG.0ab8fff4594b75cb18ae15ae80f1ec4c.JPG

Edited by ri702bill
  • Excellent 2

Achto
6 hours ago, atrerice said:

Anyone have an idea how these attach? 

:WRS:

Here is a video that uses a similar connection to yours.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

:WRS:    Dan's video he shared is fairly good though he sort of glossed over attaching the inside chain clasp (the hard part)

When installing tire chains I find it helpful to securely jack up the rear end of the tractor, deflate the tire, install the chains as tightly as you can and then inflate the tire to tighten the chains a bit more. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart
5 hours ago, Achto said:

:WRS:

Here is a video that uses a similar connection to yours.

Makes you appreciate at 2 link chain, with tires that big!

• Like 1

peter lena

@atrerice  in addition to the above information , have secured chains , at inside wheel point , then added a spring pull to the outside links area , slow  tractor roll let the spring pull , close the distance , elevate wheel , move chains around , with the spring pull still on , found it makes installation easy , like a third arm , pete

• Like 1

peter lena

@ri702bill  once you do that , the constant spring pull on the   connection area  , lets you spin the wheel , and move the chain in the tire tread always being pulled together , also use a  tapered pin par , as a prying  connector . https://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-solid-steel-pry-bar-31383.html , gives you  lots of easy leverage , always pulling against that spring . works for me pete

• Like 1

Blasterdad

@atrerice

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Did you get them on yet? 

atrerice

Thanks guys!  I did get the chains on using all your suggestions.  Now, they are a bit long for these tires as there's a lot of slack in them even though I used the last link in the chain.  Is there a way to maybe shorten them?  

• Like 1

lynnmor
13 minutes ago, atrerice said:

Thanks guys!  I did get the chains on using all your suggestions.  Now, they are a bit long for these tires as there's a lot of slack in them even though I used the last link in the chain.  Is there a way to maybe shorten them?  

Sure, just cut some off, you maybe need to remove one cross chain.  Large pliers, a hacksaw and a vise can be helpful.

• Like 1

Blasterdad
11 minutes ago, atrerice said:

Yes, move the S hook one link back, (the one that doesn't lock) & hook the locking hook one link forward like the guy did in the video...:thumbs: 

WHGuy413

If they are not super loose you could always use bungee cords on the inside and outside to tighten them up. But this only works if they are not super loose. If they are I recommend taking a cross link out. Shortening the chains to what fits and re installing the cross link in a different position.

980096A7-5461-4555-8023-FCF454BDDF8D.jpeg

• Like 2

rjg854

I have to use chain tighteners because my wheels are fluid filled and I can't really let the pressure off without letting out the fluid.PXL_20201206_175808556_MP.jpg.6015bd34650bd4e64c117d15c29f1344.jpg

• Like 1

midpack

If you know anyone taking down a trampoline, the springs make great chain tighteners!  😉 

20220325_142456.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

OutdoorEnvy
3 minutes ago, midpack said:

If you know anyone taking down a trampoline, the springs make great chain tighteners!  😉

That's a good idea.  Here in tornado alley there are many a trampolines that get picked up each spring in windy storms and mangled beyond repair and end up at curbs for big trash day.  I may get a handful next one I see. 

peter lena

@ rig854  , is that an oil finish on that blade? have any oil on the front of that balde ? rolls snow like butter , BTW  an aerosol lubricant rub down on that horse would make it look years younger , hope you get to plow snow , all we get is rain , pete

WHGuy413
3 hours ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

That's a good idea.  Here in tornado alley there are many a trampolines that get picked up each spring in windy storms and mangled beyond repair and end up at curbs for big trash day.  I may get a handful next one I see. 

If you are lucky the next storm may drop one right in your yard 😂. But in all seriousness stay safe out there. 

• Like 1