Tims520

520H needs to blow snow but no spark and..... no headlights?

gwest_ca

Since the jumper didn't help, and the motor did crank, can I assume that' s not the issue?

Correct

The cause of the ignition problem has to be between the coil and the spark plugs.

• Like 2

c-series don

@Tims520 We’re not done yet, I’m no 520 expert but I do know that the guys here won’t let you quit until your tractor is running! In no way will this help you get spark, but I was just wondering if you have power to the backside of the headlight switch? 

• Like 1

Tims520
5 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Since the jumper didn't help, and the motor did crank, can I assume that' s not the issue?

Correct

The cause of the ignition problem has to be between the coil and the spark plugs.

Thanks for that.  I'll probably do some preventive maintenance while I'm chasing this down.

5 hours ago, c-series don said:

@Tims520 We’re not done yet, I’m no 520 expert but I do know that the guys here won’t let you quit until your tractor is running! In no way will this help you get spark, but I was just wondering if you have power to the backside of the headlight switch? 

Thanks!  I haven't actually dug into that yet.  It kinda looks like I'll have to take the dash apart for that, so probably a warmer weather thing.

• Like 2

Tims520

And......  I may be done until warmer weather.  I've temporarily solved my no spark issue as shown in the picture.  That poor red demon (Honda HS928) probably hasn't been run since we moved out of our last house 4 years ago.  Fresh fuel and it fired right up!  It bailed me out today.  Thanks everyone for all of the tips.  I'll do some reading and dive into it when it's warmer.

HS928.jpg

• Like 3

lynnmor

The shotgun approach is getting confusing.  We need to know that you followed the steps in the service manual to test the ignition module.  You might very well have ignition switch or 9 pin connector problems, but we bypassed all that stuff with a jumper from the battery + to the coil +. Do not leave that jumper in place except when testing or the engine is running.  Do the testing to find out if you have a working ignition system, then we can go after all the pretty stuff.  You can ignore the low oil pressure cut out in step 3, you don't have one.

Tims520
3 hours ago, lynnmor said:

The shotgun approach is getting confusing.  We need to know that you followed the steps in the service manual to test the ignition module.  You might very well have ignition switch or 9 pin connector problems, but we bypassed all that stuff with a jumper from the battery + to the coil +. Do not leave that jumper in place except when testing or the engine is running.  Do the testing to find out if you have a working ignition system, then we can go after all the pretty stuff.  You can ignore the low oil pressure cut out in step 3, you don't have one.

Thanks, and sorry for confusing things.  I understand what you're saying, and I already pulled the jumper.  I also think this is going to be more than I want to deal with in an unheated pole barn.  When it gets warmer outside I'll follow your advice.  I'll spend the cold months reviewing this thread and the others we have here, so I'm ready to jump into when it's warmer.  Thanks again!

• Like 2