pfrederi

Can you run a battery igntion without a battery??

pfrederi

Picked up a pallet of small engines at auction for $15.  This was one of them, K181 battery ignition (spec # is "Basic"). Based on big mounting bracket was runnnin a pump of some kind??  Also there was a spring setup to always run at full throttle.  What is interesting is the only external wire to a battery has a big momentary switch.  There is a toggle switch that is wired so it cranks when you push the momentary button and feeds the coil from the solenoid. However when you release the momentary button (like when it starts running) the coil is feed by the output of the regulator.  There is no path for battery voltage to get to the coil... and the regulator doesn't see any battery voltage when the momentary button is released but it must make power...  (I sort of thought regulators only worked when they sensed some battery voltage even if low...guess I was wrong.

I have had it run for a few seconds on carb cleaner...

IMG_0737.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Confused 1

WHX??

Pump or a log splitter comes to mind. 

31 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I sort of thought regulators only worked when they sensed some battery voltage even if low...guess I was wrong.

Same here... I know you shouldn't run a 520 with no battery but different animal there. 

squonk

Maybe some sort of CDI ignition? 

wallfish

I've run S/G engines like that, no battery except to get it started. Testing them on the bench and used a jump box, then disconnect it.

But never tried it yet with a gear start type with rec/reg like that.

• Like 1

pfrederi
28 minutes ago, squonk said:

Maybe some sort of CDI ignition? 

Nope Standard coil and points...

Rick3478

Sure, depends on what's in the "regulator".  Circuit requirements are actually simpler if you don't have to limit voltage and current to charge a battery.  Not that much different from a magneto, which just puts all the pieces in one box.

• Like 1

953 nut

Inquiring Minds Want to Know | Podcast on Podbay

WheelHorse_of_course

Generally speaking I would expect yes. This was definitely the case with older cars, though they have alternators that put out current in excess of what the ignition system would need.