Sharp08

1973 No Name 10 8 Speed

Sharp08

Well today I attempted to go plow the snow out and as I let my foot off the brake to move the tractor a loud/brief gear grind noise was heard and the high/low shifter is locked in place and the tractor won't move under its own power as if it isn't in gear. This was a fresh restore besides the transmission which I never opened because it worked flawlessly all summer. Does anyone have experiecne with the High/Low locking in place? I tried rocking/pushing the tractor and attempting to shift it either direction as well. When i roll the tractor either forward or backwards it has resistance stutters without noise every 1/4 turn of the wheels. I am assuming I'll have to crack the rear end open this summer.  

• Like 2

953 nut

1 hour ago, Sharp08 said:

without noise every 1/4 turn of the wheels.

The symptoms you are describing sound like the nut fell off one of your differential bolts and it is hitting the case. If that is the case you are lucky this didn't happen while it was in motion.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oldlineman

:text-yeahthat:Been there, not a hard project  with the expert help provided here. IMG_0194.JPG.25105270147779e95681b022a85290c1.JPG 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

Is this your only horse / do you have any spare transmissions?  I am about 100 miles NW of you.  I’d be willing to sell an 8 speed in working condition if I’ve got one, taking yours in on trade.  I’d have to check stock.

• Like 1

Sharp08

Thanks for the info, does anyone know if the trans in this pictured 312-8 speed is the same as the one in my 1973? Would it be a direct bolt up?  

image005.jpg

image003.jpg

• Like 3

kpinnc

What's wrong with the 312? Probably a more capable machine. 

• Like 1

Sharp08

All I know about the 312 is that it sat for 10-15 years without running. The 73 I restored was used weekly to mow. A guy I know is willing to part with the 312 and if the trans is the same I’d like to pick it up for trans parts or a total swap. 

• Like 1

953 nut
13 hours ago, Sharp08 said:

Would it be a direct bolt up?

Do you know for sure that the 312-8 transmission is good?

It should a reasonably easy swap though it won't bolt right up. You will be going from a six speed to an eight speed so the clutch/brake rod setup will need modification. You may want to use the rear fender/seat support with gas tank from the 312 or could stick with the tool box, seat support, your choice. The shift lever may need to be swapped out. It has been done many times and there are several threads on here about it.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Blasterdad
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

You will be going from a six speed to an eight speed so the clutch/brake rod setup will need modification.

He said it's an eight speed tranny in it...

Not sure who's right here, but if so, it should bolt up okay.

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 2/5/2023 at 7:04 AM, 953 nut said:

You will be going from a six speed to an eight speed so the clutch/brake rod setup will need modification

Several threads on this change in the past. I don’t recall anyone overly pleased with the effort vs. result.

On 2/5/2023 at 8:59 AM, Blasterdad said:

Not sure who's right here, but if so, it should bolt up okay.

Two key install differences between 6- and 8-speeds: input pulley and brake drum location. Either or both can prevent easy bolt-up.

The input pulley shaft on a 6-speed is shorter than on 8-speeds. The former commonly used a pulley with the setscrew in the valley of the pulley instead of outside putting the valley of the pulley quite snug up against the transaxle body. This can also affect the drive line alignment and side tin spacing since the larger 12hp engine is wider.

The brake drum on the 6-speed rotates in the opposite direction from the 8-speed and the band mounts differently so the brake linkage needs significant changes.

Edited by Handy Don

Sharp08

Thank you for the responses. I think I’m going to have to just crack my 73, 8 speed open this spring and see what the issue is first. 

• Like 1

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Sharp08 said:

I think I’m going to have to just crack my 73, 8 speed open this spring and see what the issue is first. 

I think you'll be far happier with the end result this way.

...so go buy the 312 and put it to work while getting the 10 horse 8 speed back in shape! :thumbs:

• Like 2