Pullstart

Feeling Healthy - Diet, Weight Loss, Fasting

Pullstart

177.6 today.  I might be the biggest loser and I’m not in on the competition (or the $$ pot) :lol:

• Like 1

rmaynard

Started on a new diet and exercise program that does not involve fasting. 

Weight this morning 226.

Just to elaborate a bit.

I gave up on the fasting. It's not for me. The holidays were a killer. We are a family of eaters. Then came the week of Christmas. The wife and I started feeling sick on December 20th. Low grade fevers, sinus problems, and a cough. Covid-19 negative. We toughed it out through 12/27 when my wife went to the doctor because she was having trouble breathing. Seems we both tested negative again for covid, and positive for RSV. 12/28 she ends up in the ER (breathing). Back home that night, but for both of us we were miserable. RSV finally subsided and on 1/2/24 we declared ourselves healthy again. We had 17 good days, until 1/25/24 when we both tested positive for Covid. My 3rd time, her 1st. And yes, we were both fully vaccinated and boosted. Mine didn't last long (6 days), hers took 14 days. I've had Covid 3 times since being vaccinated. Anyway, to make a long story shorter, on February 4th, we both again declared ourselves well. After doctor visits on the 15th, all is well except my triglycerides and LDL cholesterol is high. Hence the new diet. High in fiber, low in saturated fat, plenty of fish, and 30 almonds per day. I limit my caloric intake to 2000 or less per day.  I'm back to briskly walking 1.5 to 2.5 miles per day. 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, rmaynard said:

fasting. It's not for me

Definitely does NOT work for everyone.  

Trina couldn't follow a consistent fast. Her metabolism is just too all consuming.  

5 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Hence the new diet. High in fiber, low in saturated fat, plenty of fish, and 30 almonds per day. I limit my caloric intake to 2000 or less per day.  I'm back to briskly walking 1.5 to 2.5 miles per day

Excellent Bob. 

Good for you.  

I've been hovering in the high 260s for several months now.  

Started taking UMARY a few weeks ago. 

I can't say for sure it's a cure all but damn.....

Drastic difference in my overall aches and pains levels.  

Waaaaaaay down.  

So the plan for this year continues. ....

More hiking. More carefully introduced increased activities.  

• Like 2

Pullstart

We were in Detroit last weekend for wrestling state finals.  176.4 today.

• Like 2

PWL216

201.6 today. Started at 230. My goal is to get to 195ish. My wife has been doing Weight Watchers for 22 years with incredible consistency and discipline. She has been my coach. All I need to do is eat what she feeds me ;)

• Heart 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, PWL216 said:

201.6 today. Started at 230. My goal is to get to 195ish. My wife has been doing Weight Watchers for 22 years with incredible consistency and discipline. She has been my coach. All I need to do is eat what she feeds me ;)

Niiiiice work Paul !!!

• Like 2

sergeant
On 2/16/2024 at 3:46 PM, ANTPER said:

Most drugs have many side effects that vary individually.  Always check on them even if a Doctor recommends. I was giving med once with side effect of possible Stroke! I passed and dealt with it without.

Many of the side effect we read about for Drugs are not actually do to the drug. Many People who were In the studies for the drug already had health issues and because they were On the drug The Pharmaceutical companies have to report it as a Possible side effect when it may actually have nothing to do with the drug at all. I have always found look for later studies  when the drug has been out on the Market 10 years or more and You can find out if those side effects listed are accurate or not 

I was very worried about Dupixent (Because one of the side effects listed was Joint Pain), of which I am on now, Due to having EoE Eosinophilic esophagitis, an inflammation of the esophagus. I get raised rings In the esophagus, and I also get strictures(narrowing of the esophagus), which can be treated with stretching my esophagus. But In adults, you can only do that so long as You could damage the esophagus if you have to do it often. What it really boils down to is that I have an allergic esophagus, which is allergic to a lot of the foods I used to be able to eat. Now that I am on Dupixent, I have no diet restrictions, so I can eat chili again every so often, even though I am allergic to Garlic and Kidney beans. I never had allergies as a Kid, other than getting scratchiness in my throat if I ate a Brazil Nut or a hazelnut. I am also now allergic to soy, which they put in just about everything that is consumed in the United States in some form or another. Soy was the one thing I just couldn't avoid. But even with the no diet restrictions because of the Dupixent  I will still try to avoid the foods my esophagus is allergic to. as I really don't want to go back on a Liquid/Soft diet again  5 Minute meals were Nice But  I  still like to chew my food. So I take a self administered shot once a week now and as of right now for the rest of my life until something new and easier that works comes out.  The downside is it is $3,000 a Shot  But The Pharmaceutical company who produces it pays the difference so you not out of pocket after You Insurance pays its percentage 

BTW in the original drug trial for Dupixent  Two people had Joint Pain and one already suffered from arthritis. The average  age of the Participants in the original study for Dupixent was 56. Dupixent has been rated safe down to 1 year of age recently. 12 was the original age limit.

Side effect for   Dupixent

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 12-00-41 dupixent side effects - Google Search.png

Pullstart

It’s been a couple bits, and one of Mrs. P’s girlfriends home made us a dozen bagels, along with us going on a double date earlier this week for a 5 course meal with paired drinks each course.  Somehow, I’m down still to 175.4.  I think sometimes a little shock of switching up the intermittent fasting and going back to a routine of breakfast, lunch, dinner for a little while does a body good.

• Like 1

lynnmor

This fasting information was in the news yesterday.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’ll take that with a grain of salt :handgestures-thumbupright:

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

This fasting information was in the news yesterday.

Trina saw that too. 

I found it disconcerting that the American Heart Association would publish something like that without good reason but I couldn't find any links to studies, statistics, facts. Etc.

I couldn't even find the metrics used. How old were the participants? Did they study various lengths of fasting? Where they already sick?

If you have more information to share I would absolutely love to see it.

• Heart 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

couldn't even find the metrics used. How old were the participants? Did they study various lengths of fasting? Where they already sick?

@lynnmor

Disregard that part. I was able to find some today that did not open yesterday.

This is certainly something that warrants more study.