Redav72

71' Raider 12 Cleanup

Redav72

Meant to start a resto-thread a little sooner, but here we are.  I periodically peruse the classifieds looking for something both nearby and economically priced, in December I hit on a classified ad that peaked my interest.  Only half an hour away and looked to be well maintained.  The seller and I agreed on a price and we pushed it up on my trailer.  His dad had bought it new in Ohio way back in 1972 and had put it to work on lawn and snow duty.  The tractor was maintained in running shape but will receive a thorough reconditioning before being pressed back into service.  One of the coolest bits that came with it was a bit of provenance, some type written correspondence from the late 1980's between the previous owner and Wheel Horse corporate inquiring about a failed ignition system.  Additionally, the it came with a complete set of manuals and some really nice hand-drawn notes that outline belt placement and part numbers.  I think the personal documentation is perhaps my favorite part of this find.

image1.jpeg.4d42a15b6651bf36ba800290c9e767df.jpeg

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

Sparky

Interesting paint scheme on the wheels. 
  How deep are you going to go in the resto? Shooting for showroom mint? 

• Like 1

Redav72

When I went to look at it the owner and I spent a good hour just trying to get it started to no avail.  I was hooked by this point though so we agreed to a discounted price and pushed it up on my trailer.  Got it home and ordered a carb kit and a spark plug, that did the trick and I was able to take a short jog around the block.

Condition Notes:

Front tires were consistently loosing air but the rubber appeared solid.

Engine made some funny popping surges and I could see exhaust back through the carb.

The head had blown out the plug at some point and had an insert with smaller plug.

PO had converted the ignition to points and breaker.

The tins had been repainted at some point and the decals were scrapped off.

The seat was a replacement and was in pretty bad shape.

Needed a new battery

Electric PTO is disconnected.

Drive belt is worn and cracked and a bit jumpy

Headlight wiring melted on muffler

The Plan:

Since it was well maintained as a worker I'm planning to honor the effort that the PO put in.

• new plug and carb rebuild (done)
  • strip all the tins off and pressure wash, buff the paint
  • cleanout combustion chamber, gasket, new head bolts, engine tune-up (done)
  • new decals
  • repaint the hubs (front done)
  • new seat (done)
  • rewire headlights and tail light
  • evaluate electric PTO, have a mechanical PTO that I might swap in
  • add a mowing deck
  • New belt

Edited by Redav72
Updating item status
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Redav72

Worked on the engine a couple weeks ago, lots of carbon build up.  Have a gasket on order from isavetractors and I’ll replace the head bolts with new grade 8 when I reattach.

DEDA6ED3-118F-4A1F-999C-643FAAE66768.jpeg

0C924ABC-28C2-4781-B9DD-05801585BD65.jpeg

C5096557-264C-43E6-8902-FDA751045EA2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Redav72

Today though was front wheel day. I dislike dismounting and mounting tires (old rubber and lots of force makes me nervous).   Fortunately my local farm and fleet will dismount for free and then charges only 12$ when I come back to have the tires remounted.  Picked up the paint and some wire wheels after they dismounted the tires.D88F9FD1-41FB-4A53-9790-3C3056A33D83.jpeg.9a6231c779ece1f1a802dc326958de61.jpeg

C7FD2E0C-B3DA-4DF2-A561-6B2EF61220AC.jpeg

Edited by Redav72
  • Like 4

ebinmaine

Excellent history on this one. 

I like the idea of keeping as the PO intended and leaning into the mechanical system as a worker tractor.  

Well done.  

kpinnc

Very cool story with this machine!

isavetractors had a good tutorial on testing the trigger modules, as well as converting to battery ignition here: 

I have a 1971 Bronco 14 with the same ignition system. Luckily it still works. I'll definitely make this conversion if it ever acts up. 

• Like 2

Pullstart

Cool post, great story!

oliver2-44
4 hours ago, Redav72 said:

0C924ABC-28C2-4781-B9DD-05801585BD65.jpeg

@Redav72 Noticed your piston has carbon on one half and wet with oil on the other half. I had an engine that looked like that and was told it was a sign of piston blow by.  My engine is still running but slight smoke and maybe a little down on power. 

• Like 2

Redav72

Got the front wheels painted and back together, unfortunately one of the pair still doesn’t hold air so it’s tubes for me.  Last weekend I went out and picked up a new seat, installed it this afternoon.  Head gasket came in and I got the he head buttoned down.

B92BCE38-FCAD-4061-9E17-E150F489099B.jpeg

BFADFF68-4033-4054-9CB8-ACACAD947E8B.jpeg

• Like 2

Redav72

Question:  Are there any things to watch out for if u was to power wash once it gets a little warmer?  Is it advisable to power wash the engine?

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Redav72 said:

Is it advisable to power wash the engine?

It can be done, but you have to be careful. Seals and gaskets aren't made to tolerate thousands of pounds of pressure. Even if you avoid spraying the intake and exhaust, it is likely that you'll still force water into the engine. 

I have soaked the occasional engine with solvent and used a car wash, but even then I bag and tape the breathers and exhaust. 

Be very careful and keep the wand far back from the engine.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

oliver2-44

Almost the first thing I do on a new to me tractor is pull a few tins and give it a good high pressure power wash. It’s just so much nicer to work on a clean tractor.  As other mentioned I tape up the breather, oil fill tube, exhaust and shifter. But  I’m all most always following this up with changing all fluids. I do give my workers a bath, but I use one of the lower pressure tips on them.  Of course I only wash a cold engine. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

kpinnc

My point was that the places with the most crud are typically also the most vulnerable to water intrusion. 

And I agree- immediately change the oil, even if it looks ok. Same goes for the tranny if washing the whole tractor.

• Like 3

Digger 66

Cool thread , Ill be following .

I have a 72 that was just cleaned up and gone through mechanically .

It's just used for chores around the house .

SjuFE1y.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut
21 hours ago, Redav72 said:

Head gasket came in and I got the he head buttoned down.

After the first run of the engine getting it up to operating temperature you should retorque the head bolts.

• Like 1

Redav72

Picked up new front tires at farm and fleet, caps from WH parts and more.  Pretty happy to see it running again.  Sent a few texts of progress back to the original owner so he know that’s it’s being taken care of.  The paint cleanup will have to wait for spring weather but I’m pretty pleased that it’s back to being a useful tractor.

C1F4D3A6-FF25-48B8-9B10-05736539185D.jpeg

3F1DAD73-6EEC-4A6D-9F04-D7CF1A6BCC15.jpeg

• Excellent 2