Sailman

Trickle charge tractors without electricity

Sailman

Anybody have tractors stored in buildings/ sheds without electricity needing to trickle charge batteries? I do....

Been messing around with some solar panels and looking for a way to charge batteries without running long drop cords.

Here is what I found to be a great option. https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-amorphous-solar-panel-kit-63585.html?_br_psugg_q=solar+panel

Not the cheapest option (got mine on sale) but I like the kit because it comes with panels, controller (needed to keep batteries from draining at night) and long attachment wires. Also, these amorphous panels will put out a charge in almost any kind of light. Kit also comes with 2 -12 volt lights so as long as controller is hooked to a battery you have light in that remote shed / barn. Panels are easy to move around so I just rotate the set up between 2 different sheds keeping 5 tractors and 1 dirt bike topped up.

IMG_3049.jpg

Edited by Sailman
added info
  • Excellent 2

8ntruck

How about a solar trickle charger?  They are available for boats and RV's.

ri702bill
15 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

How about a solar trickle charger?  They are available for boats and RV's.

I bought one for my seldom used any more pickup. All in one unit - the panel needs to be OUTSIDE of the vehicle if you have privacy glass windows!!

• Like 1

Sailman

The solar trickle chargers would work just fine. I like the added feature of lighting in the shed plus I keep it hooked to a marine battery when not charging the tractors and that gives me other options with an inverter in sheds with no electricity.

I pair the panels up instead of attaching all 4 together. Allows me to move the 2 panels easier between sheds. Still plenty of juice for charging batteries.

lynnmor

Why not take a few passes with a plow and run some 14-2 UF?  Maybe you have obstacles, but $150 for 250' isn't bad if you consider the nuisance of maintaining solar equipment.

• Like 3

Darrenw85

I take the batteries out of my tractors and put them on the trickle chargers in the garage or basement. 

Sailman
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Why not take a few passes with a plow and run some 14-2 UF?  Maybe you have obstacles, but $150 for 250' isn't bad if you consider the nuisance of maintaining solar equipment.

Would cost me a whole lot more than $150 given the location of the shed, sodded yard, concrete and access to my electric panel. Not sure what maintenance you are talking about? Wash the solar panels every 6 months everything else is on cruise control.

But hey...to each his own. Works for me.

peter lena

@Darrenw85   , note last photo  of  battery tender plug in , always there  / for easy plug in  .also improved grounding from pto lever ground rail , to engine / frame area ,firm up sloppy pto lever  , heim joint eliminates  sloppy trunnion  , that area is a gold mine of improvement  opportunities , they are looking at you ,  did this on my 3 horses , eliminate  issues , pete

SylvanLakeWH

Great use!!!

I used a HF solar panel on my boat at the lake for years... worked perfectly. Zero maintenance. Great units.

I am researching making a canopy for one of my E-141s and the train to make it truly solar... Right now i just have small solar tenders on it. The units you have are one of the options I'm looking at...

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

rmaynard

My daughter gave me a battery-powered Ring doorbell/camera for Christmas. Along with it she gave me a solar panel to charge it. Seems like a good idea, but the solar panel just couldn't keep up. So I ran a wire to a doorbell transformer in the basement. 

My point is that in my case, living on a heavily wood lot, there is not enough direct sunlight, even in winter, to support the charger. If it were me, I'd just run an extension cord or bring the batteries inside.

Sailman
On 1/22/2023 at 1:19 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

Great use!!!

I used a HF solar panel on my boat at the lake for years... worked perfectly. Zero maintenance. Great units.

I am researching making a canopy for one of my E-141s and the train to make it truly solar... Right now i just have small solar tenders on it. The units you have are one of the options I'm looking at...

The only extra info I would add is that the HF unit I listed has (4) 25 watt panels which might be kind of bulky for your application. HF also sells a 100 watt Monocrystalline single panel that might be a better option. More juice with less surface area. But you would need to purchase a controller that accepts 24 volt input. That panel is on sale now at $100 (regularly $129).  https://go.harborfreight.com/email/2023/02/180354-57325/

• Thanks 1

moe1965

I wonder if you could make a windmill out of a car alternator that would charge the battery or would it have to spin fast to do so

Sailman
On 2/26/2023 at 3:16 PM, moe1965 said:

I wonder if you could make a windmill out of a car alternator that would charge the battery or would it have to spin fast to do so

That would be an interesting experiment. There are products out there that folks put on their sailboats that run a wind generator to charge batteries. Very effective but for limited applications. https://www.practical-sailor.com/sails-rigging-deckgear/choosing-a-wind-generator