ebinmaine

Incredible person and truck...

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Digger 66 said:

When I'm backing tankers into the loading bays , I have to place the trailers at an exact location very slowly and in a very controlled manner . This is just not possible with an auto

With a true Auto or an Auto-shift manual? 

Digger 66
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

With a true Auto or an Auto-shift manual? 

I don't know the difference between those two ^

All I know is you can't release the (foot) brake and crawl in reverse without it lurching / jumping initially .

I never tried holding it with the spike though . < That seems pretty unsafe .

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Digger 66 said:

I don't know the difference between those two ^

All I know is you can't release the (foot) brake and crawl in reverse without it lurching / jumping initially .

I never tried holding it with the spike though . < That seems pretty unsafe .

AUTOMATIC transmission is just like any lighter vehicle in that you can hold the service /floor brake pedal and just let up a little to allow the vehicle to move.  

Super easy other than learning to allow for extreme heavy weight.  BUT... Getting one to move in very small increments is difficult. 

AUTOMATED MANUAL transmissions vary in design WIDELY.  

In OUR fleet:

Automated manuals that WE have require the driver to raise the RPM a hair to notify the vehicle it needs to move. 

If you're in "D" position it's setting there idling with  transmission in a gear, clutch  is disengaged. (Like pedal on the floor). 

Touch the throttle and the clutch gets engaged in gear.  

It has to be a VERY small RPM movement with exactly the right amount of distance. 

So you know how a vehicle will jump if you have the RPM too high or the clutch jumps out unexpectedly?

Controlling a computer driven drivetrain NOT to do that is very challenging.  

There is NO "ride the clutch" or friction point.  The clutch is engaged relatively quickly for a start and too damn slow during shifting between gears.  Most drivers I've been around don't even use the clutch for shifting. 

Our drivers that dock a box trailer daily have a well founded repugnance for the very reason you bring up.  

Touch the throttle. Move the truck. Fine. Easy. 

Get close to the dock... Every single driver I've ever met will slow to a near or complete stop as the dock approaches. 

Now you're back in Neutral. 

Again.... Touch the throttle. Move the truck. Fine. Easy...??

Oh no. Not so much.  

All 80,000 pounds of moving vehicle finds the dock. Hard. 

It's a terrible design for a daily dock parking vehicle.  

I used to think it was a serious lack of skill, training or both but after I "got to" drive one I learned different.   

• Like 2