Searcher60

Tires & Wheels for 416-8

Searcher60

Any thoughts on swapping the stock 23x9.50x12 tires and wheels that came on my 416-8, for the 23x10.50x12 tires and wheels that only came on the 500 series? Would this be considered a better, improved, upgrade? I think the stock 416 wheels may 7”, while the 500 series wheels are 8”?????? Also, anyway to install limited slip in the 416-8 differential? Not sure if the 416 without limited slip could out pull or push my Electro 12 with its good working limited slip diff. Thanks. 

Pullstart

As for tire width, a skinnier tire applies more psi to the ground.  I like the look of a fat tire, but a comparable diameter skinny normally out performs a wide one.

As for limited slip, you might find that added weight by means of bolt on weight, wheel weights or fluid filling tires (my favorite) will be enough to get you what you’re looking for.

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 2

ri702bill
7 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

added weight by means of bolt on weight, wheel weights or fluid filling tires (my favorite) will be enough to get you what you’re looking for.

Absolutely - agree with the last two choices unless you have to add even more for the task at hand. I prefer to add weight to the wheels themselves, not up on the hitch - better for the Unidrive outer bearings.

P1010176A.JPG

Lee1977

Tire sizes don't mean much most every garden tractor tire I have are an inch or more under the size stated on the tire.  I have 24x9.50x12 on my 89 520-H with 7" wide wheels and they measure less then 23" tall and only 9" wide.

Also the 18x6.50x8 or just a faction over 16". 

SAM-1442-3.jpg

SAM-1276.jpg

kpinnc

If you're looking for raw traction, meaning torque transfer to the ground- the narrower tires are better. More pounds per square inch. Wider tires are for floatation, and not tearing up turf. Narrow tires will dig in like a prairie dog.

As for the limited slip. I almost don't want to even type this (it has been discussed at length, and personal preferences vary), but the LSD is not as rugged as the 8-pinion diff. It provides superior traction, but will break if placed in a bind. Yes, I know some have used LSDs for competition pulling. That being said, they can and do break if improperly used. The 8-pinion will tolerate more abuse. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

clueless

It's about where the rubber meets the road, the footprint of the tire that touches the surface. If you add wider tires you need to put them on wider wheels to get more footprint. I see guys with wide tires on their tractors here all the time, they look cool but if you look close the footprint hasn't changed much. Probably the reason why farm tractors for the past 100+ years don't have big fat boys on the back.