ebinmaine

Con rod wear pattern ok?

WHX??
20 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Now what are you going to do when the machine shop whips out his cheap calipers?  

Not a dammed thing but listen to to him.  He is expected to have the above hobby grade tools to do his job the same way when I applied my trade. 

20 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I made my living in machining and have seen a considerable number of folks that aren’t qualified.

Lucky for you guy and I know I am not qualified... the hobbyist loves to learn about other trades tho. Be it they be any good at them or not. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

Bill D

@ebinmaineare you planning to have the crank balanced like @Greentoreddid on his Let's build a torque monster k321 Kohler build? Another member here, @WheelhorseBob, I believe, pulled the balance gears from his 16 and said the change in vibration was noticable.  Might be worth doing. 

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Now what are you going to do when the machine shop whips out his cheap calipers?  I made my living in machining and have seen a considerable number of folks that aren’t qualified.

Lack of qualification happens in every industry.  

To get good results you have to ask good questions and do good research. 

Choose a trusted shop/business with a great local reputation and keep asking them questions. 

I find folks are much more prone to do quality work if they know the customer is one who has a base knowledge and cares about the work being done.  

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, WHX?? said:

hobbyist loves to learn about other trades tho. Be it they be any good at them or not

Absolutely.  

There's a lot of things in the world that fascinate me.  

Some I try here. 

Some I don't.  

My trade is transportation and machine operator of forklifts and cranes.  

Little of my formal training can be applied here at the home acreage but it comes in handy at times.   

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Bill D said:

@ebinmaineare you planning to have the crank balanced like @Greentoreddid on his Let's build a torque monster k321 Kohler build? Another member here, @WheelhorseBob, I believe, pulled the balance gears from his 16 and said the change in vibration was noticable.  Might be worth doing. 

I did a fair bit of reading on this site and a few others. 

Seems that most folks notice the vibration inherent to these particular engines in the mid range, some folks low, and occasionally no change noticable at all. 

I've yet to see anyone mention a strong feeling in the upper RPM range.  

Because this is a Hydro transmission it'll live in the upper RPM range.  

I won't be balancing this particular crankshaft... YET. 

BUT.... 

If it proves to be too much then this engine will be swapped out as I get my others rebuilt to install in other machines.  

I have 4  K341 engines. 

At least 3 of those 4 will be bored and built over the next 3 or 4 years for use in C160 8 speed tractors.  

Because the RPM range can vary more, I'd consider having those balanced before building.   

squonk

This is how you measure a cylinder bore. Use a bore gauge. About the same cost as those spring loaded telescopic thingy's. Once you select the proper size rod. Insert the gauge into the bore and lower it to the unworn portion. Rock it back and forth. At the point the needle changes direction is where the gauge is perpendicular to the bore. Zero the gauge at that point. Bring the gauge up to the worn portion and rock again. Count the lines from zero where the needle changes direction. Each line is .0005" So if you have 3 lines you have .0015" of wear (taper). For out of round re-zero the gauge in the worn area. Check it at other spots and count the lines. This is your out of round.

_p_4_p46281_3.jpg?yocs=j_o_

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
44 minutes ago, squonk said:

This is how you measure a cylinder bore. Use a bore gauge

Another interesting tool I've not seen in the past.

Might have to add this to the arsenal... 

lynnmor
2 hours ago, squonk said:

This is how you measure a cylinder bore. Use a bore gauge. About the same cost as those spring loaded telescopic thingy's. Once you select the proper size rod. Insert the gauge into the bore and lower it to the unworn portion. Rock it back and forth. At the point the needle changes direction is where the gauge is perpendicular to the bore. Zero the gauge at that point. Bring the gauge up to the worn portion and rock again. Count the lines from zero where the needle changes direction. Each line is .0005" So if you have 3 lines you have .0015" of wear (taper). For out of round re-zero the gauge in the worn area. Check it at other spots and count the lines. This is your out of round.

In order to measure the bore size you would need to add good gage blocks and a setting fixture, or use standards to calibrate the dial bore gage, be sure that you add that to the cost.  Also, get one that measures to .0001" .

My SIL bought a used Kubota 4 cylinder that used a lot of oil.  When I checked the bores they all showed hone marks but some qualified machinist found a way to bore all 4 holes with an extreme taper.  You need to know the actual size before and after a cylinder is bored, just knowing a taper or wear spot isn't enough.  In this case we had to start at square one and sleeve the block.  When the block was at the shop he decided to have the injection pump rebuilt.  After assembly the thing was difficult to start and smoked crazy.  After considerable troubleshooting, the injection pump was found to be completely knackered by yet another qualified shop.  Yes, I have trust issues but that comes from years of seeing this nonsense.

• Like 1

Wild Bill 633

I often considered if I were to rebuild a Kohler K-series 16HP, I would seriously consider a Vogel Manufacturing assembly kit.

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, Wild Bill 633 said:

I often considered if I were to rebuild a Kohler K-series 16HP, I would seriously consider a Vogel Manufacturing assembly kit.

I'd like to build a K341 for a heavy load puller/Mackissic chipper powering machine. 

Something that would make an honest 20+ HP and mountains of torque.  

I'm not ready to spend the money on it yet.... But I could see it happening in the future.  

bds1984
On 1/10/2023 at 4:55 AM, ebinmaine said:

I did a fair bit of reading on this site and a few others. 

Seems that most folks notice the vibration inherent to these particular engines in the mid range, some folks low, and occasionally no change noticable at all. 

I've yet to see anyone mention a strong feeling in the upper RPM range.  

Because this is a Hydro transmission it'll live in the upper RPM range.  

I won't be balancing this particular crankshaft... YET. 

BUT.... 

If it proves to be too much then this engine will be swapped out as I get my others rebuilt to install in other machines.  

I have 4  K341 engines. 

At least 3 of those 4 will be bored and built over the next 3 or 4 years for use in C160 8 speed tractors.  

Because the RPM range can vary more, I'd consider having those balanced before building.   

I removed the balance gears on my K341 rebuild in 2014 and noticed vibrations while idling.  Last night I had to shuffle tractors around in my garage so she sat idling for a bit with a noticeable shaking of the entire tractor around 1,500-1,700 RPM but smoothed out completely above 1,700 up to WOT.  In my case, I believe most of the shaking at lower speeds is failing motor mounts.

• Like 2