Dennis C.

1996 314H transmission

Dennis C.

I recently purchased this Wheel Horse last year and i have a issue  that is puzzling. I check the transmission oil level each time I use the tractor. I check the level cold, usually after sitting a few days. This is a Eaton 1100 transmission. The level is always correct. But if the tractor sits for a couple of months, like it does during the winter the transmission oil level  over flows and leaks out of the dip stick tube and leaks down the transmission onto the floor.  This has happened twice now. This just happened again after the tractor has sat idle since the end of September. The oil is up to the top of the filler tube and has leaked out again. Solution? Is the a check valve somewhere?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

WHX??

Does it go back down if you start the tractor? There are forward and reverse check valves in it and its possible the charge pump and motors are draining back to the sump. I wouldn't think there is a enough oil in it to overflow it tho. 

Here is a manual for a 1100. 

492-4205 Eaton 11 SM.pdf

• Like 1

Dennis C.
42 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Does it go back down if you start the tractor? There are forward and reverse check valves in it and its possible the charge pump and motors are draining back to the sump. I wouldn't think there is a enough oil in it to overflow it tho. 

Here is a manual for a 1100. 

492-4205 Eaton 11 SM.pdf 4.68 MB · 0 downloads

I've drained the oil out of the transmission twice. Then refilled to the specifications in the Eaton manual.  Both time, if the tractor sit for a couple of months the oil in the transmission overflowed past the dipstick tube. Maybe a couple of ounces on the floor. With the tractor in regular use the oil level is at the full mark on the dipstick, checked cold. And yes, the oil level will return to normal if i start up and use.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

This burping has happened to other members.    I believe @lynnmor experienced this on his 520Hs.

I have 4 Eaton 1100s and never had this problem.

lynnmor

It is strange and seems to be no common denominator as some people report different experiences than me.  I do believe that oil drains, or is pushed down, from above, but most times I checked the oil level when there was a puddle the oil was back down.  I believe that extreme temperature changes are a factor since most of the burps I encountered were on a tractor that was in a shed.. My thought is that expanding and contracting air acts as a pump.  I haven't had a burp in the last two years since a zero turn now occupies that shed.  My suggestion is to run the oil in the lower portion of the hatch marks on the dipstick.  In addition, check the vent in the dipstick curled handle, they can get pinched shut or clogged with debris.  Yes, that curl has a small hole thru it.

• Thanks 1

Dennis C.
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

It is strange and seems to be no common denominator as some people report different experiences than me.  I do believe that oil drains, or is pushed down, from above, but most times I checked the oil level when there was a puddle the oil was back down.  I believe that extreme temperature changes are a factor since most of the burps I encountered were on a tractor that was in a shed.. My thought is that expanding and contracting air acts as a pump.  I haven't had a burp in the last two years since a zero turn now occupies that shed.  My suggestion is to run the oil in the lower portion of the hatch marks on the dipstick.  In addition, check the vent in the dipstick curled handle, they can get pinched shut or clogged with debris.  Yes, that curl has a small hole thru it.

Thanks, I'll check that. This only happens when the tractor sits during the colder months. I took the seat pan off today and i will clean the area and check that vent.

• Like 1

kpinnc

I've noticed one of mine burps if it's rolled around without running. 

I saw a "vented" bolt used in another post a while back- on one of the two bolts that hold that fender and gas tank. I gotta try that and see what changes.

WHX??
5 hours ago, Dennis C. said:

the oil level will return to normal if i start up and use.

I would suggest starting it every now and then during lay up then. Keeps oil where it should be & the everything exercised. 

4 hours ago, lynnmor said:

that curl has a small hole thru it.

This I did not know thank you sir. 

c-series don

I have five tractors with the 1100 and never had this issue or even heard of it. Some of them are stored in non heated sheds. I am however curious to know what would the actual cause might be? Also in my almost 40 years of dealing with Wheel Horses I didn’t know that the dipstick handle was also a vent! Happy to say  I learned something new today!!! 

• Like 1

Handy Don

In theory, the transaxle “tank” should be able to hold all of the oil. But once oil is up in the pump/motor, the charge pump, the hydraulic hoses, and the cylinder, it doesn’t drain easily.

It follows, then, that if over time some of that oil gets returned to an already full transaxle, it can come out.

I also wonder if some dipstick tubes protrude further into the transaxle case than others, making it more likely that too-high oil (instead of air) would go up the tube.

I follow @lynnmor’s idea and at oil changes I pay attention to how much oil comes out and I fill only to the bottom of the hatches on the stick.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

WHX??
39 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

But once oil is up in the pump/motor, the charge pump, the hydraulic hoses, and the cylinder, drain easily 

Got that right Don ... lots of kitty litter or oil sorb to prove it.

• Like 1

WHX??

Just for diagnosis what oil are you running Dennis?

Dennis C.
9 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Just for diagnosis what oil are you running Dennis?

30W but I forgot the brand. i'll have to look.

• Like 1

case442

Hi All,

I have the same issue with my ‘97 314h. It’s sporadic but same thing happens. Alls fine and walk in one day to oil all under the rear half of the tractor.

• Like 1