Seth12137

Cant move the gear shift

Seth12137

I just picked up what I think is a 516h. I have owned multiple wheel horses before (I currently also have an 1142) all have had the manual trans. This would be my first one with an auto. I cant seem to get the gear shift to go into gear (it will flop back and forth in neutral), Is there a break interlock or something I am missing? Also whats with the thing you lift up that is between the gear selector and the seat?

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

This manual should help you get back in gear.   :hide:      Look it over and it will help you identify the controls.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3

Achto
21 minutes ago, Seth12137 said:

Also whats with the thing you lift up that is between the gear selector and the seat?

If you are asking about the lever circled in the picture below. This lever disengages the engine from the hydro pump. If this lever is pulled up the tractor will not move.

6144228.jpg.c0c769d38074b8c104f710bea2f2a3a6.jpg

• Like 3

Seth12137
1 minute ago, Achto said:

If you are asking about the lever circled in the picture below. This lever disengages the engine from the hydro pump. If this lever is pulled up the tractor will not move.

Yup thats the level i was talking about. Since you have the same tractor: Looking through the manual I assume the gear shift has to move the triangle like piece under the seat to engage the trans? Can you shift the trans without engaging the brake?

• Like 2

Achto
2 minutes ago, Seth12137 said:

Can you shift the trans without engaging the brake

Sorry this pic was just one that I found. 

On a hydro drive tractor if you have the brake pushed in the shift lever will not move. Stepping on the brake peddle will return the shift lever to the neutral position. With your foot off from the brake you can use the shift lever to switch directions at will, no need to step on the brake. The further you push or pull the lever forward or back the faster the tractor will go in that direction.

• Like 3

953 nut

The tall lever next to the one circled is your motion controller, if it is "flopping around" you will want5 to pull the cover off the other side and see if the tab welded to the bolt near the center og this picture is broken.

AE21893E-ACD7-40E3-B2F7-C1ED567EADDD.jpeg.9119359a22dff5342604fa42c6e3f85b.jpeg

• Like 5

WHX??

Blue Richard?!? ... you at EB's place? :laughing-rolling:

Study those manuals and pull the belt guard for inspection. New to you thers no telling what could have been done.

:text-welcomewave:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 5

wallfish
30 minutes ago, Seth12137 said:

Can you shift the trans without engaging the brake?

Yes

The brake must be released in order to move the lever. The brake centers that "triangle piece" under the seat to neutral which is basically the brake.

• Like 5

Chaz54
1 hour ago, Achto said:

If you pull this lever up, you can also push the tractor without the brake being on.

Edited by Chaz54
  • Like 2

kpinnc
9 minutes ago, Chaz54 said:

If you pull this lever up, you can also push the tractor without the brake being on.

No you can't. He said it's a 516-H, and those have the Eaton 700 without hydraulic lift. They can't be pushed or towed without destroying the pump. No tow valve!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Beg your pardon KP but can't it be towed like 1100s at a low speed? 

kpinnc
7 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Beg your pardon KP but can't it be towed like 1100s at a low speed? 

I thought the 700 series tractors all have a specific warning about no towing? "Push only" or something like that, but I've never been able to push one much. Nothing at all like the 1100-equipped machines. 

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:      You may be able to move some 700s by jiggling the motion lever, but they are difficult to impossible to move without damaging the tranny.

1100s can be pushed slowly by hand...do not tow.

The Eatons do not have a tow valve like the Sundstrands that can be towed when the valve is opened.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Seth12137 said:

I cant seem to get the gear shift to go into gear

This motion control lever is not a gear shifter.        When the brake pedal is pushed, it centers the motion lever in the neutral position where it will move left and right in the neutral slot.

If you release the brake, the motion lever can be moved forward or back  controlling a valve that controls the oil flow in the transmission providing motion of the tractor.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Seth12137   you can,t spot fix  a linkage ,CAREFULLY  remove   , related panels ,belt guard , shifter plate , to expose entire set up , then refer to a blow up   schematic  drawing  of what you have , also listen to  members with same related set up . expect lots of frozen / rusted areas , have any KROIL AEROSOL  LUBRICATION ?   good luck with that , pete 

Ed Kennell

Pardon our manners Seth.

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

Please let us know if you still need help.

• Like 1

Chaz54
On 1/2/2023 at 7:30 PM, kpinnc said:

I thought the 700 series tractors all have a specific warning about no towing? "Push only" or something like that, but I've never been able to push one much. Nothing at all like the 1100-equipped machines. 

The lever cicled in the picture actually releases tension on the drive belt to transmission. It is not any type of tow valve. It depends on the amount of slack in the belt as to whether the tractor is very easy to push or not.

• Like 1

kpinnc
3 minutes ago, Chaz54 said:

It depends on the amount of slack in the belt as to whether the tractor is very easy to push or not.

On the 700 series Eaton, I don't think the belt matters. The tractor won't roll even if the belt is missing. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
10 hours ago, kpinnc said:

On the 700 series Eaton, I don't think the belt matters. The tractor won't roll even if the belt is missing. 

Yep, I had a 518 with the 700 and pushing was hard even with the drive clutch disengaged.

Seth12137

Its fixed, the pivot point where it connects to the brake was disconnected and locking it into neutral. I was pretty sure it had something to do with the brakes, which is why i directed my questions and I was hoping it was something else could explain how the brake connected to the movement lever. Now I know and knowing is half the battle.

For the next guy who searches, it is under where the shifter is, take the 4 screws out and look straight down from where the parking brake mechanism is.

Now to find the parts its missing -- the air cleaner assembly and the left foot rest cover. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

• Like 2