RED-Z06

Found out i must have moisture in my 8spd

RED-Z06

Because that thing is frozen solid at 15⁰ in Florida this morning 🤣

Never experienced it before down here, ive seen gear oil get cold molasses thick but have seen it freeze with water in it.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 3

ebinmaine

I'd say it's about due for a fluid swap.  :)

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

And... Welcome to our world... :banana-skier:

:occasion-snowman:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RED-Z06
29 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd say it's about due for a fluid swap.  :)

I did, and a new boot epoxy'd to the shifter...keeps getting water in it.  Probably have to get a cover, no room in the shop with the blade on it

• Sad 1

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

And... Welcome to our world... 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
53 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

I did, and a new boot epoxy'd to the shifter...keeps getting water in it.  Probably have to get a cover, no room in the shop with the blade on it

Cast iron will be prone to condensation. Not sure how much over what time period. 

I'd bet that keeping it covered reduces the issue to nearly nothing.  

It'll also be great for every other part of that machine.  

When you change the fluid again remember to raise the front end of the tractor as much as safely possible. There's a well in front of the middle bolt that will hold some of your water that's freezing.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

When you change the fluid again remember to raise the front end of the tractor as much as safely possible. There's a well in front of the middle bolt that will hold some of your water that's freezing

And you have to make sure that you get all the ice out. There can be a large chunk of ice still in there if the transmission hasn't been above 32 degrees long enough.

I change my transmission fluid every single year with valvoline gear oil. Yes it's a pain in the butt to do, and can get expensive when you have... however many tractors I have now... but it is worth it to me.

EDIT: it is worth it to me not just for cold temperatures... but also for the dog days of summer. Transmissions need gear oil, not water.

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 2

RED-Z06

Got it started, reluctantly got into the gears, wouldn't move so i was gently letting up on the clutch and all at once it launched...my feet came off the pedals, pulled the front end well up into the air then came to a rest against the house.  Somhow i ended up off the tractor because i ran up to it to kill it.  No damage besides 2 holes it dug...and my pride took a solid hit.  

I dont like this weather...I need my low 90s and humidity back.

If id had the camera rolling id be going viral 😂 

• Haha 5

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: an electric heater or a heat lamp shining on the transmission would have prevented that bit of excitement.  Then again, you would have deprived yourself of all the fun of an exciting ride :happy-smileygiantred:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

Good to have a sense of humor!!! 

• Like 3

8ntruck

More like got to have a sense of humor.  I find that helps me keep whatever is left of my sanity.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

whatever is left of my sanity

Mine's been gone for years so it no longer is an issue.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

:text-yeahthat: an electric heater or a heat lamp shining on the transmission would have prevented that bit of excitement.  Then again, you would have deprived yourself of all the fun of an exciting ride :happy-smileygiantred:.

If not for the excitement this would have made for a boring Christmas Eve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RED-Z06

So from what i can recall now that my brain has thawed, i was sitting side saddle to see if it would actually move, right foot on on the clutch; i guess when it took off i got chucked off the seat...or slid down, my stomach was skinned up and dirty so im going to guess when i ran up to kill it i stumbled into the left rear tire that was spinning...

Tractors are and have always been a bit dangerous; cold weather only makes it worse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

Glad you weren't hurt.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Horse Newbie
30 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Glad you weren't hurt.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

I was stationed in Pensacola in the Navy in 1970 and Jan/Feb 1971.  It can get cold in southern Alabama... :occasion-snowman:  Was not for me...Santa Clause's in the rain and X-Mas trees dried out.  Luckily, from there I went to Maine...still snow on the ground through April.  :occasion-snowman:

If I read the above correctly, you Epoxied the shift cover.  Bad mistake...just need to put a finger of grease on the shaft where the rubber meets the road and slide it down.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by stevasaurus

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Maine...still snow on the ground through April.  :occasion-snowman:

Every. 

Single. 

Year. 

• Haha 2

RED-Z06
6 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I was stationed in Pensacola in the Navy in 1970 and Jan/Feb 1971.  It can get cold in southern Alabama... :occasion-snowman:  Was not for me...Santa Clause's in the rain and X-Mas trees dried out.  Luckily, from there I went to Maine...still snow on the ground through April.  :occasion-snowman:

If I read the above correctly, you Epoxied the shift cover.  Bad mistake...just need to put a finger of grease on the shaft where the rubber meets the road and slide it down.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Shaft is so rusted that the boot just wiggled around, this is the tractor that was left in a field for 16+ years and was intended to be scrapped.

Were you at Ellyson?  My dad was in HT-8 from 69 to 73

stevasaurus

No, I was at the Air Field north of the main base.  NCTC...I think it is disbanded now.  :confusion-confused:

Understood about the horse...bringing it back to usable is excellent.  :occasion-xmas:

You know, there was a place we went to while we were down there...I think it was Rosy O'Grady's ??  Is it still there??  I have some really fond memories of those days.  Dixie Land Band and beer in a Mason Jar.  Excellent.

Edited by stevasaurus

Rob J.
On 12/24/2022 at 2:20 PM, RED-Z06 said:

Got it started, reluctantly got into the gears, wouldn't move so i was gently letting up on the clutch and all at once it launched...my feet came off the pedals, pulled the front end well up into the air then came to a rest against the house.  Somhow i ended up off the tractor because i ran up to it to kill it.  No damage besides 2 holes it dug...and my pride took a solid hit.  

I dont like this weather...I need my low 90s and humidity back.

If id had the camera rolling id be going viral 😂 

Whoooaaa, easy horse 😂

• Haha 1

RED-Z06
54 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

No, I was at the Air Field north of the main base.  NCTC...I think it is disbanded now.  :confusion-confused:

Understood about the horse...bringing it back to usable is excellent.  :occasion-xmas:

You know, there was a place we went to while we were down there...I think it was Rosy O'Grady's ??  Is it still there??  I have some really fond memories of those days.  Dixie Land Band and beer in a Mason Jar.  Excellent.

Oh yeah Rosie's is still there, its basically the anchor for Seville Quarter still, dualing pianos and all.  Can be kind of a rough place at times...whole city can be a rough place at times.

https://sevillequarter.com/rooms/rosie-ogradys/

NTTC Corry Ststion is NAATC noe, its still at Corry Field as I recall.

https://www.navycthistory.com/corry_intro.html

Edited by RED-Z06

clueless
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Steve, NCTC (Navy Communication Training Center) Corry Field. It is now Navel Education and Training Command, Corry Field. Like Tom said Rosie O'Grady's is still popping, was just there in Oct. for my sisters 40th wedding anniversary party.