Vintner

310 Not Charging Battery

Vintner

I have a 1984 WH 310. I replaced the battery last spring, but it's not being charged. Is there a thread here that will walk me through finding the problem?

TIA

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Download the Kohler manual from the Manual Section on here. There is a good section on all the Kohler electrical.

Also download the manual for you tractor and see the wiring diagram for it. 

• Like 2

Jeff-C175

First question should be, do you own and know how to use a multimeter?

@Vintner

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

First year for 310 was 1985 I believe.

Do you have a model number?

If it is 1985 310 it had the 3 amp unregulated system.

3amp.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Vintner

Thank you all for your replies. I have never been able to find a model number on the tractor. I'm pretty sure it's an 84 from the model number on the engine. I will try your suggestions and come back if I still can't figure it out. 

Thanks again! 

• Like 1

Snoopy11

@Vintner... you may be interested only in fixing your current system. I completely respect that and many of us (myself included) who have encountered this system are here to help.

Having said that, there are options for you if you need a new charging system, including a relatively inexpensive upgrade to a 15 amp charging system.

Regards,

Don

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@Vintner   totally agree with  @Snoopy11  on the  OPPORTUNITY  to  upgrade and eliminate your  charging issue ,  that 15 amp  upgrade is the way to go , love making a chronic problem , go away ,  and make it an example of what it can be , you are right there , why not ?   tesla , pete 

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

The 3 amp system on my 310-8 works just fine.  I would agree only if testing reveals your stator is bad then it would be worth the $$ for the upgrade.

• Like 1

Rob R

A simple thing you can do and what solved my 310-charging issue was to simply remove the rectifier and clean and sand the back of the unit and the place where it mounts (especially if the tractor has been repainted).  You have to have excellent grounding for the charging circuit to work. 

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@Vintner  note the 3 rd picture down  , that added ground cable , coming from battery ground bolt spot to , lower corner of engine frame  area , next to clutch pedal , enhanced engine grounding to rectifier  , had that issue on my 3  horses,  problem gone , pete

• Excellent 1