ri702bill

Cast Iron Wheel Weight Handler

elcamino/wheelhorse

That is slick

• Like 2

ri702bill

No, 30 weight is slick!! Thanks for the comment, This was needed to avoid the juggling act and the pinched fingers. Hope others agree...

My biggest fear was that the jack would tip forward with the weight on - another 6" overhang and it would.

Bill

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:eusa-clap:

• Like 1

pfrederi

Nice!!!

• Like 1

ri702bill

All - feel free to take this design and alter as needed for your own application - seems that the older floor jacks had the larger saddle plate - my newer 3 ton has a much smaller plate, about the size of a hockey puck...

• Like 2

peter lena

@ri702bill thats what i,m talking about  , adapting to a problem , lots of tractor related areas is , leverage  advantage . put some screw in wood 2 " swivel rings , for a 500 lb lever chain hoist , 3ft  nylon lift strap , get it close to tractor , makes things easy , pete

• Like 2

peter lena

@ RI702 BILL ,https://www.hardwareandtools.com/national-hardware-n220-640-s120-089-hitching-ring-on-eye-bolt-5-16-by-3-1-4-inch-2-inch-ring-zinc-plated-steel-ueab-1658.html   installed these  in my lift areas , for that small chain hoist , also use these to hold my mower decks in place against the wall , bent up some  5/16  steel round rod  for a hook to grab the  mower deck  lift carriage, always making easier for the next time , pete  

• Like 2

peter lena

@ri702bill   attach the grab hook to a  strong extension spring , eye bolt , that deck is not going any ware ,  hooked up , pete

• Like 2

ri702bill

@peter lena I have my 2 decks propped up against the back wall of the garage using a tire chock ...! Might take your advise so I can get my chock back over the winter.

Bill

• Like 2

CCW

I love tool hacks.

• Like 2

WHX??

My back thanks you! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@WHX??  as I  get older , just can't  handle the heavy awkward deck lift like I  used to . found that small  chain  lift , with a  wide wire hook  attached , to front wheel on deck  , easily controls it into space , then I  use an  extension spring from wall  to hold it in place on  carriage lift of deck , makes it much easier , pete    

• Like 2

953 nut
5 hours ago, ri702bill said:

biggest fear was that the jack would tip forward with the weight on

I attempted the same thing but my jack isn't as hefty as yours, though about adding weight to the back of the jack. It was easier to just pull the wheel off and lay it on a couple 4X4s then remount it.

• Like 3

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

use these to hold my mower decks in place against the wall , bent up some  5/16  steel round rod  for a hook to grab the  mower deck  lift carriage, always making easier for the next time , pete

I’d like to see a picture of that…

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
22 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@WHX??  as I  get older , just can't  handle the heavy awkward deck lift like I  used to . found that small  chain  lift , with a  wide wire hook  attached , to front wheel on deck  , easily controls it into space , then I  use an  extension spring from wall  to hold it in place on  carriage lift of deck , makes it much easier , pete    

How about a pic of that set up ?

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
6 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Per my previous post, the rear weights are assembled, but it was evident a device was needed to hold the weight securely while lineing it up to the wheel.

I make a simple bolt on attachment for my trusty 40 year old 2 ton floor jack. Most of it was made from various itens from the "Parts Department".

A length of 2-14" OD exhaust pipe, a pair of two 2-1/2" conduit clamps, a pair of 1/8" x 1" flat straps drilled for the clamps, and a short length of 5/16" threaded rod, inserted thru the end of the pipe to act as a stop to keep the weight in place. Worked well. Total cost was under $15 bucks.

P1010175A.JPG

P1010179.JPG

P1010180.JPG

P1010177A.JPG

P1010176A.JPG

What brand is that 40 year old jack ?

• Like 1

ri702bill

Sears Craftsman - USA made AND rebuildable (already did)

The 3 ton - same brand - made somewhere else - when it dies, it goes.

• Like 1

WHX??
59 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

It was easier to just pull the wheel off and lay it on a couple 4X4s then remount it.

I'm not seeing that Richard... most WWs cover the mounting studs? 

Guessing that would be really hard if tires are loaded? 

Edited by WHX??

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Sears Craftsman - USA made AND rebuildable (already

I was asking because a friend of mine has an old Craftsman floor jack(circa1980) … great jack… can’t get ‘em new like that anymore…

• Like 1