8ntruck

Seat Repair

8ntruck

As I was putting Clyde, the C-195 away last weekend, I noticed a realitively large piece of rust lying on top of the fender pan just under the seat.  Sure enough, there is a 'soft' spot in the seat pan around the left front mounting hole.  Not surprising, since Clyde spent about 20 years outside before I got him. 

How to fix?  I'm thinking that I should strip off the roached out seat cover and padding, weld in patches necessarily to remove the 'soft' areas in the seat pan.  For the upholstery, make molded plywood bases for the bottom and back pads, glue foam on them, then scratch up upholstery covers.  Secure the pads using screws through the seat pan into the plywood bases.

Then again, it would probably be easier and quicker to spend a bit of money on an aftermarket seat.  Not as much fun, though.  I've been interested in trying some upolstery.  Seems like this seat would be a simple project to attempt.

Comments?

• Like 2

WHX??

Guessing the orginal seat? 

The orginal on my Super C is in good shape but rather uncomfortable. 

A tractor bro gave me a real nice comfy Milsco aftermarket seat and mounted up ok but a pain to get on and off of. Too high and too close to the wheel. So be wary of replacements. 

Not many options on relocating on a 195. 

20200814_170232.jpg

20200802_140508.jpg

Orginal I believe.

20200606_122900.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

8ntruck

Yup.  Original seat.  Other than the crusty upholstery, the seat sits OK for me.

Ed Kennell
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Not as much fun, though.

There's your answer. Try it, I have made several seats including the cushions and the metal pans for the two cushion '70s C seats.

It can be a fun project.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 12/9/2022 at 5:50 AM, Ed Kennell said:

There's your answer

Agreed.  

The one thing I could add is to be VERY careful what foam you use as a replacement.  

We recovered the seat on Cinnamon Horse C160. It was on a 1974 as a high back option.  

The foam we used is too soft so it crushes to flat easily.  

When you do the project please do take lots of pictures.  

I'd like to see it.  

• Like 1

c-series don

Although I’m not a Super-C (C-195) expert, I believe this is the correct original seat. I realize these are not 195’s, this is just an example. Not trying to prove anyone wrong, just lending my two cents for whatever it’s worth!! With inflation it’s probably not worth that 😂

DD979EFD-2422-439A-B16B-0ACDE63A8FD7.jpeg

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The foam we used is too soft so it crushes to flat easily

And some of us crush foam more than others!!! I need the really firm stuff!!

Randy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3