Panther416-8

Powered chute deflector

Panther416-8

So I'm starting an installation thread on a powered snowblower chute deflector. I purchased a Firgelli Automations premium linear actuator FA-35-12-6-P. It's a 35 lb force, 6 inch travel. I carefully measured the travel of my deflector on my 2 stage blower and it's 6 1/8".  Now I know a few people have gone with the 4" throw but I feel I should be OK with this. 

FA-35-12-X-P_v2_2x_800x_2eb6bb6a-56f7-4f48-9b9f-4aee196c91c1_700x.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Panther416-8

I also purchased these mounts. One to go on the handle of the deflector and one to mount lower on the body of the chute.

MB1_1_de63d421-2114-48cf-9576-b835b39bd4d4_300x300.jpg

• Like 5

Panther416-8

To control it, I got a waterproof momentary switch.  Any suggestions as to the best location for switch installation? It's on a 416-8. I could make a cut out on the upper or lower dash area to snap the switch in or perhaps create some sort of mount that would attach to the side of the dash area. I previously had a rocker switch for a winch mounted on an L bracket to the right of the throttle control.

BBTE9098_700x.jpeg

• Like 4

ebinmaine

Looking forward to seeing this. 

Plenty of pics would be great. 

7 hours ago, Panther416-8 said:

Any suggestions as to the best location for switch installation?

I've learned to mentally or even physically put myself in the position of usage. Think about your habits and procedures. 

What does each hand do while driving or operating the snowblower?

Be sure to consider that you'll likely be wearing gloves which require a little extra area around things. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Panther416-8
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Looking forward to seeing this. 

Plenty of pics would be great. 

I've learned to mentally or even physically put myself in the position of usage. Think about your habits and procedures. 

What does each hand do while driving or operating the snowblower?

Be sure to consider that you'll likely be wearing gloves which require a little extra area around things. 

@ebinmaine all good points especially the gloves. Kind of thinking now that it would be better as a long toggle switch like the electric lift. Thanks

• Like 6

AHS

Are you gonna keep the chute rotator on the right side?

• Like 3

Panther416-8

The chute rotator is on the left side.

20221128_155446.jpg

• Like 5

ebinmaine

Everybody's got different habits. If that were my tractor I probably would get a high amp rated double momentary long handled lever type switch and mount it on the left on its own bracket where it would be out of the way of the choke knob. Perhaps just about where your existing chute control already is. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Reading along, I was thinking of suggesting to place it in the same location as the auger handle too.  Could you make a bracket on that upright and keep it a part of the blower instead of a part of the tractor?

• Like 3

peter lena

@Panther416-8   agree with others on opportunity to test function , would personally , TAPE THAT SWITCH ON  , for ease of best go to point , noticing your lever chute rod end point , easy to add the above knob ,  3/8"  die nut , h/w store screw on knob ,  works great with mittens / gloves , would also consider using  small heim joints , on swing areas , very reliable , have them on a lot of my end points. pto lever end , clutch linkage , plow lever rod , experiment , I WON,T ,TELL  ANY ONE  , LOOKS GOOD , PETE

• Like 2

AHS
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Reading along, I was thinking of suggesting to place it in the same location as the auger handle too.  Could you make a bracket on that upright and keep it a part of the blower instead of a part of the tractor?

That’s what I was thinking, on the blower part instead of the tractor 

• Like 3

Panther416-8

Thanks for the suggestions.  I didn't think about the upright for crank handle. Perhaps if  I picked up a plastic box that I could cut out for the switch and attach to that upright.  What I was thinking was to make a dash cut out to snap the switch in and then use a 2 pin waterproof quick disconnect so I could disconnect near the backside of the dash/ battery area and then the remainder if the wiring would stay with the blower when removed from the tractor.  I would also run it inside some plastic loom.

• Like 3

AHS

Ok, what about this for wiring? When your not using it, you could just disconnect it and leave the tail piece under the hood.

BAA2B455-70E1-4293-9713-20AA4CF448FB.jpeg

• Like 2

peter lena

@AHS  have that same set up on my  BATTERY TENDER , plug in , always ready  for an easy hook up , use little dielectric grease , on the slide points , makes it easy , pete 

• Like 3

peter lena

@AHS   note last picture , thats my battery tender plug in point , always an easy plug in , also note battery cable to corner of engine / frame , that comes from  battery ground bolt point , ensuring , electrical ground / engine  related issues are gone , also enhances headlights . lots of  hours on this , its a solid gain , very easy to do pete

• Like 1

Panther416-8
12 hours ago, AHS said:

Ok, what about this for wiring? When your not using it, you could just disconnect it and leave the tail piece under the hood.

BAA2B455-70E1-4293-9713-20AA4CF448FB.jpeg

That's what I was thinking too AHS. Got this one.

Screenshot_20221210-185756_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

AHS

@Panther416-8 there you go! 😀

• Like 1