fjdc100

1974 c-100 grinds into gear

fjdc100

I have a C100 , 1974 that I put a new drive belt on, it is the correct belt, put the cover back on and it will not go into gear.

Grinds.

The old belt worked ok but broke.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine

What brand belt? 

• Like 2

953 nut

When you installed the belt guard did you make sure the belt is above the bottom lip of the guard? If the slack in the belt is not being held by the guard it will not stop turning the transmission.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@fjdc100  would look at related linkage and pulleys , for rust  or roughness. touching up all related parts for function  ,  pete 

• Like 2

fjdc100
45 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What brand belt? 

Gates, I can see the spindle still turning when it should be idle

• Like 2

fjdc100
33 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

When you installed the belt guard did you make sure the belt is above the bottom lip of the guard? If the slack in the belt is not being held by the guard it will not stop turning the transmission.

Yes, i looked before i fastened cover to make sure

• Like 2

daveoman1966

C-100 OEM belt is # 7473 at 82" x .625" (5/8).  These older tractors (73-74 C-100) have proprietary pulleys and most after-market belts do not have the exact / precise geometry to match the pulleys. A Gates belt of 82" x 5/8" is likely an ill-fit although L and W are the same. .   The cheap belts are either too wide, too deep/shallow, or otherwise just don't match the pulley countors right...not making full contact with the 'V' of the pulley exactly.  Consioder this pic:      

V Belt Geometry A.JPG

7473 BELT.JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

What was the Gates number you used?

• Like 1

Handy Don

Pictures would help a lot. At the engine and at the transaxle, if you have the cover off. :)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, fjdc100 said:

Gates

I'm a fan of Gates Green belts in general... But I haven't had good luck with them on Wheelhorse manual transmissions.  

I've started using ONLY Wheelhorse branded belts on our manual transmission tractors. 

No issues.  

As pointed out above by @daveoman1966 there's something in the angles that just doesn't always set right.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Heatingman

With the machine off. Put the tractor in gear

Can you push the machine as easily as in neutral?

do the same with the belt removed entirely

if its the same, your problem is in the transmission 

If its hard to push while in gear, then its the belt, or lack of travel in the clutch, or weak spring, etc.

One other thing to check is the input shaft pulley on the transmission. Its possible the woodruff key is missing and the pulley is just freely spinning on the shaft. 

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

The idler pulley may have a belt guide that is designed to pinch and stop the belt from moving when the clutch is depressed. Maker sure this belt guide is adjusted correctly to pinch the belt.

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

953 nut
12 hours ago, fjdc100 said:

Gates,

Is the belt you bought fabric covered?

• Like 3

fjdc100

I have tried all of the answers, the transmission is good, shifts well when turned off, it is winter here so i have put the tractor up for now.

In the spring i will buy the exact belt for the wheel horse, if i can find it, 

If that doesn't work i will post pictures for everyone, thanks for all your help.

Maybe when i put the cover on the post has to be adjusted?

• Like 3

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, fjdc100 said:

In the spring i will buy the exact belt for the wheel horse, if i can find it, 

No worries there. Plenty of good availability.

• Like 1

OoPEZoO
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've started using ONLY Wheelhorse branded belts on our manual transmission tractors. 

No issues.  

I ran this exercise this year with my 314-8.......and by exercise, I mean the 3 trips to Tractor Supply in an attempt to get a "proper" length belt.  No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to take off smoothly AND shift gears smoothly.  One or the other, but not both.  I monkeyed around with the clutch linkage, adjustments, belt routing, springs, anything I could think of.  Then I finally drove the extra few miles out of my way and bought the proper part number belt from the local Toro dealer.  It takes off and shifts buttery smooth now with no more wheelies or grinding.  I hated the price, but it is what it is, and I'll probably never have to buy another one, so OEM from now on for me as well

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

rmaynard
50 minutes ago, OoPEZoO said:

It takes off and shifts buttery smooth now with no more wheelies or grinding. 

You say that it shifts smoothly. You mean that it goes into gear without grinding? Wheel Horse manual transmission do not have synchronizers, therefore are not to be shifted on the fly. 

• Like 5