ebinmaine

Sandpaper sponges

ebinmaine

I made the mistake of going in the hardware store today to look for paint stuff.  :)

Found these sandpaper sponges which do fit between the fins on an air cooled Kohler.  

Figured they'd be right handy at cleaning up for painting.  

IMG_20221201_194521950_HDR.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor

They are very course, if the finish is important you might want to test a small area first thing.  Do you ever use paint stripper?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

They are very course, if the finish is important you might want to test a small area first thing.  Do you ever use paint stripper?

Absolutely agreed. These are 36 grit. There were at least two finer grits at the store. 

Finish isn't important for this particular usage. I bought them to try between the engine fins. Rough is good.  

We have tried a couple paint strippers 3 or 4 years ago. 

They were....

Unsatisfying....

Normally we want a bare metal surface for a fresh start to paint on. 

We find it MUCH faster to use mechanical means to remove whatever layers of paint are there.   

• Like 1

squonk

I have some sponges from Horror Fright. I think a 220 grit with some Marvel Mystery oil shined up an old Raider 12 that I fostered for a while! :banana-wrench:

• Like 2

953 nut
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I bought them to try between the engine fins. Rough is good.

Rough is very good for engine fins, gives you more surface area and turbulent air flow. If they were smooth and shiny the laminar air flow would remove less heat because there is less mixing. Too much paint on the fins will also reduce their ability to transfer heat.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell
On 12/2/2022 at 3:35 AM, ebinmaine said:

We have tried a couple paint strippers 3 or 4 years ago. 

They were....

Unsatisfying....

Eric, I have found using paint strippers will work pretty well if you seal what you are stripping in something. So larger peices go in trash bags and smaller stuff I put in the disposible type plastic containers. If you seal them off from the air, they will stay wet and keep working for a long time. 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1