45to70

Starter/Generator 753

45to70

Have not been able to find a part number for a 753 S/G...........mine has sized up.

Thanks

• Like 1

squonk

Probably just an end bearing. Fairly easy to fix. I you are unable, look for a shop near you that deals in starter/alternator repair

• Like 2

Pullstart

@WHX?? doesn’t know a ton of things about a lot of stuff, but he’s pretty good with starter generators…. @Achto knows things too!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
1 hour ago, 45to70 said:

Have not been able to find a part number for a 753 S/G...........mine has sized up.

A lot of companies used the AC Delco starter/gen. Basically only 2 differences in them 1 - clock wise or counter clock wise rotation. 2 - The length of the body, short or long. You should require a long/standard length with a CW rotation.

Here is a source for a complete S/G or a rebuild kit.

https://isavetractors.com/electrical/starter-generator-parts/ 

One other source for a complete S/G. Part MES9193N

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_starter_motors.htm

I just opened this S/G a bit ago and plan on rebuilding it. Bearings were good, rotor was rusted to the magnets.

IMG_20221119_161606950.jpg.699ba5eab0614edb2d4f18e5d6794d55.jpgIMG_20221119_161617857.jpg.6c8447d2df9abcb5b7a8a9834f5e9946.jpg

• Like 1

45to70

OK< Thanks.  Think will go with the rebuild kit.  Am guessing it is a bearing. 

• Like 3

Achto
48 minutes ago, 45to70 said:

Think will go with the rebuild kit.

This is worth watching. A very good tutorial.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

WHX??
5 hours ago, 45to70 said:

OK< Thanks.  Think will go with the rebuild kit.  Am guessing it is a bearing. 

Most likely... me thinks Dan has you covered but any issues let us know. I generally enjoy rebuilding them 'cept for cleaning. 

Usually ther is a distinct bearing whine when time to replace but if it sat and looks like Dan's all bets are off. 

I have enough pics to do a tutorial on them ... should get off my butt and do it. 

I saves vid  it is OK but doesn't get in depth on things that i feel should be addressed.

The bearings are a real common one and I just order them off fleabay. Always some on the shelf. I have found the brushes seldom need replacing but it doesn't hurt. 

Since I am a horseaholic and most of my tractors are early 60s always have a rebuilt on the shelf too. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

953 nut
12 hours ago, WHX?? said:

I have enough pics to do a tutorial on them ... should get off my butt and do it.

:angry-tappingfoot:            Cold weather outside, nice warm computer loaded with pictures, what's the hold up, get to it.

image.jpeg.df5599832124f08a2b708cd88818117b.jpeg

• Haha 2

gwest_ca

One thing that is often overlooked.

The ends of the armature housing should be wire brushed to bare metal along with the matching surfaces on both end plates. A thin coat of dielectric grease on the cleaned surfaces will keep rust at bay till the next time it comes apart.

These surfaces provide the ground circuit required.

Starter motors should be done the same way.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

peter lena

@45to70  just noting the end bearing on the armature ,  excellent opportunity to pop off the end  grease caps , clean out and refresh that lubricant , would also use graphite , on related slide areas , pete 

45to70

WOW...........Thanks for all the help folks!

• Like 1

peter lena

@45to70  glad you found it helpful , typically , whenever I  am doing a service issue , its not a 1 and done , there are related areas that also need some help . rusty areas ? binding / sticking linkage ?  electrical connections  that could use new  wire ends? corrosion / shorting chafing wires ?  its the details , pete