ebinmaine

Anyone brush or roll paint on frame and transmission?

ebinmaine

Anyone here ever tried brushing or rolling paint on the cast iron parts like frame and transmission? Front axle?

Thoughts comments question suggestions?

• Like 1

ri702bill

So far, only rusty metal primer. As far as a top coat, no - I do not like picking loose bristles out of a finish coat!!

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

I have in the past Eric. I think rolling maybe a little hard because not flat. I just spray them when I do paint. Regal red rust-o-lem. Make sure it is good and clean.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

picking loose bristles out of a finish coat!!

I'd had that thought as well but that won't matter because cast iron is a rough finish.

18 minutes ago, Retired Wrencher said:

Make sure it is good and clean.

Absolutely.

It's going to get a pressure wash with hot water from front to rear and then likely be washed with acetone as well.

• Like 2

Stormin

I'd brush paint. Rolling is fine for flat surfaces. I painted my off road competition Land Rovers with rollers. Finish wasn't  important.

• Like 4

Retired Wrencher

Enjoy the project, Eric.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Retired Wrencher said:

Enjoy the project, Eric.

Absolutely Gary. Have you seen the thread I started?

• Like 1

Stormin

Just a silly thought, Eric. Painting Colossus parts? :D

• Haha 4

Retired Wrencher
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Absolutely Gary. Have you seen the thread I started?

what one is that?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Just a silly thought, Eric. Painting Colossus parts? :D

I wish. But not quite yet.

2 minutes ago, Retired Wrencher said:

what one is that?

This one here boys:

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Very nice Eric.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Anyone here ever tried brushing or rolling paint on the cast iron parts like frame and transmission? Front axle?

I've done that a couple times. It actually comes out pretty good. Thinning the paint a bit seems to help. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Yes

Works

Quick and easy...

Keeps rust at bay...

Won't win any beauty contests but then again, neither will I...

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Red-Bovine

I have used brushes and rollers a lot when painting my classic wooden boats. Thinned paint in thin coats works best to get the paint to level out, but thick paint on some cast parts also can look very good. Castings are more forgiving than boat decks. :D

• Like 6

Handy Don
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I brushed the transaxle and frame of my latest refurb because: a) I wanted to "brush in" the paint for solid adhesion and coverage, b) I didn't want to contend with aerosol overspray trying to get full coverage on these complex pieces, and c) didn't need a "slick" finish on these mostly hidden parts. The paint (Rustoleum Regal Red) flattened out just fine on the smooth-ish surfaces.

I used chip brushes to avoid having to clean them. I always "groom" the brushes before starting by pulling loose bristles and trimming off strays.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

D_Mac

When I repaint a deck or wheels, I sand, spray on primer, brush on a base coat of paint, then spray on the finish coat.

• Like 6

8ntruck

Years ago there was an article in Rod & Custom about painting a car with Rustoleum using a roller.  They put many thinned coats on with sanding between coats.  Cut and polished it for final finish.

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Penetrol

Used that every year on our fiberglass 1965 red sailboat and 1972 green motor boat... brings out the color and gets rid of the "chalk" look from sitting in the sun... (My 95 1/2 year old Dad was the original "wipe on wipe off" guru... and my brothers and i sure didn't do karate...) - great stuff!!!

• Like 3

wh500special

I realize you’re focusing on parts that needn’t be smooth, but there is a painting method called “roll and tip” that lays down quite smooth.  Popular with boat guys.  Lots of Google hits if you search. 

A coworker rolled and tipped his two Model T Fords and you’d never know they weren’t sprayed. 

FWIW. 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

cast iron is a rough finish.

Yeah… but it ain’t hairy !

:laughing-rolling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mickwhitt

I brush painted the chassis and transmission of my C-125 and its all fine.

Yes cast iron is rough but can still be made to look better.

I have renovated many machine tools such as lathes and milling machines over the years. All of them had some degree of filling done to the castings to even out the surface. 

One c

British company,  Raglan,  used to coat the raw castings in a kind of slow curing filler and leave them in a warm kiln overnight. This allowed the filler to "run" and self level before it set. The casting was then sanded prior to painting. This was more akin to car bodywork than engineering. 

When I stripped a couple of Raglans down I was amazed at how much filler had been used and how poor the castings were before the beauty treatment. 

This is an Elliot 10m shaper which looks sprayed but was brush painted and sanded between coats. It's got a better finish than my car (automobile) 20190324_103111.jpg.f93129446bae0c8c07e78528274b7b1b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Stormin
10 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

mobi20190324_103111.jpg.f93129446bae0c8c07e78528274b7b1b.jpg

That brings back memories of my apprenticeship. Spent many an hour on an Elliot shaper. Bigger model than that though. Machining large plates at low speed could send you to sleep. :D

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

ohiofarmer

Agree on the penetrol. Penetrol for oil base and Flowtrol for latex. If you have ever had brushes sticking to enamel in hot weather, that's the cure. Also, a bit of paint hardener helps the paint to level out better as well as setting faster. I probably would not go full ratio of eight ounces per gallon on the hardener on surfaces subject to impact as the paint can chip more easily. I always keep acid brushes handy for the nooks and crannies that drive one nuts with a brushed finish. harbor Freight are actually good ones as they are made from natural bristle.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

clueless

If it just the trany and the frame and its been cleaned and any rust or corrosion scales have been brushed or sanded a little I find those cheap packs of foam brushes with the wood handle work good. Just use one till it starts load up to much, throw it away grab another one.

• Like 3