41chevy

In-line fuse in amp gauge

41chevy

I saw awhile back on here that you should put a fuse inline from the starter to the positive side of a volt gauage. When I replaced my amp with a volt gauage I put a 20 amp in the line. Everything was good for a couple weeks, the other day it wouldn’t turn over. After checking hot wire to switch I got nothing. I put a jumper from battery to starter and it turned over. Then I ck the fuse and it was burnt, so figured that was the problem and walked away, figured I’d get it later.

To night I got to thinking maybe it was me using a jumper that burnt the fuse. I’ll put anew fuse in tomorrow and see what happens. If you guys don’t think I burnt it iumping it what would have caused it?

• Like 2

Achto
10 hours ago, 41chevy said:

To night I got to thinking maybe it was me using a jumper that burnt the fuse. I’ll put anew fuse in tomorrow and see what happens. If you guys don’t think I burnt it iumping it what would have caused it?

Putting a jumper in should not have caused the fuse to blow. The jumper would have by passed the fuse. What model of tractor are you working on?

• Like 1

953 nut

Since the new wiring set-up has been working well I presume it was done properly. You may want to check to see if any wires have made contact with ground though.

The fuse that is used between the battery side of a starter solenoid and the "B" post on an ignition switch is generally a 30 amp fuse. It could be the fuse was undersized and replacement with a 30 will do the trick.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk

There is nothing on the "switch side " of the circuit from the solenoid with either. a volt meter or ammeter that would require more than a 15 amp fuse to protect the circuit UNLESS  there is either an electric PTO or Electric lift. If you have neither option, look for a chafed wire, grounded out volt/ammeter or a switch that's worn out and starting to ground itself.

41chevy

I’ve cked the wires and volt meter and haven’t found anything. I’m going to change the switch. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

How did you replace the ammeter with a voltmeter?

The ammeter wires need to be joined or you could added a 30 amp fuse between the ammeter wires.

A voltmeter needs a switched power supply and a ground. A 5 amp fuse is all it needs where a 3 amp would also work but that element is fragile.

• Like 1

squonk

Again, there is nothing on the circuit from the hot all the time terminal of the solenoid to the switch that would require a 30 amp fuse except for electric PTO or lift. 15 amp would be fine. If the smarter shorts you want the fuse to blow quickly. The starter does not go thru that circuit and if it did you would need a 60 -80 amp fuse. On starter gen models start in rush current is around 85 amps and settles in around 65 amps.  When removing an ammeter connect the wires together or install the fuse there.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Jayzauto

Again, If you replaced the Amp Meter with a Volt meter, the wiring needs to be changed around.  Amp meters are wired in Series and Volt Meters are wired in Parallel....

AMP meters can cause blown fuses and let the magic smoke out of the wires.   Volt Meters will not... therefore are safer.

GLuck, Jay

• Like 1