GAJoe

Tearing into the C-160 Transmission.

GAJoe
On 11/23/2022 at 3:27 PM, stevasaurus said:

I suspect your issue with the input shaft is a loose pulley the got sucked in and ground down.  It is not your input shaft moving in and out that is the issue.  If it does move, it is only minimal and is designed to do that.  I think your pulley was not tight and moved in to grind the edge of it.  You need to make sure the pulley is secured with the Allen Set Screw...maybe even file a flat spot for the screw to set in.  I know some have shimmed the input shaft to decrease the in and out, but that is not your issue. They do that to make 3rd gear tighter.  Your issue is a pulley not setting on the shaft where it should be.  

I think I saw a lip on the pulley in one of your pictures.  If that is so, grind it smooth and when you put it back together check the pulley alignment and tighten it up and then keep an eye on it.  It is not internal.  :eusa-think:

I took the burs off of those gear spline ends. Considering the wear, you had mentioned that if it has a problem staying in third gear that the wear is the cause but you thought it looked ok. Should I shim the input to make third gear tighter? If so should the shim go on the end closest to the pulley or the other end to make third gear tighter?

20221126_112953.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine

We've run gears in worse shape with no issues.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

If you think you need to shim the input shaft, you want to shim on the inside between the input gear and the casting.  The splined shaft keeps the input shaft in place.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

GAJoe
On 12/7/2022 at 8:58 PM, GAJoe said:

a #21 woodruff Key  (1/4' thick, 9/16" tall, and 1 & 1/4" long)

On 12/4/2022 at 7:09 PM, GAJoe said:

Well bummer! My axle shaft order package from A to Z Tractor arrived this evening but the box was empty.:eek:

Well not completely empty there was a A to Z Tractor ink pen and paper in it. But it looks like the handlers tossed it into one of those buggys and it landed hard enough that the ($40 + $9 shipping) shaft punched out of the box. See the hole in the corner. I'm surprised that that hasn't happened before resulting in different packaging practices.

I wonder if A to Z will re-send it or if I will have to file a claim with the USPS?

20221204_182132.jpg

EmptyUSPSbox.jpg

Just wanted to let everyone know that A to Z Tractor got another shaft to me. Great folks to do business with!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

GAJoe

On to my next dilemma :eek:.

The latest shaft from A to Z tractor is the same as the one that I got from eBay; #21 woodruff keys and deep cut snap ring groove of 1" OD. They both need 1.0" ID snap / retaining ring.

My original axle shafts have a shallower cut snap ring groove, that uses a 1 and 1/16th inch ID snap ring.

20221209_220501.jpg.e50971a5668da372f150cf2608c857d1.jpg  ResultBeatingHubBack.jpg.ab670ab202bcf9bb5d981a88630256ae.jpg

20221209_220600.jpg.a073d69c48195f88d893fc29468a404d.jpg  20221209_220549.jpg.05b6085f6e7a1565d2f7c4db992c0397.jpg

with "W" and "112" stamped into it. I haven't been able to find these 1" snap rings in the 1/10" thickness to fill the ring groove.

What ID measurement are you guys and gals getting on your 1 and 1/8" shaft snap rings? Where can I find the extra thick (looks like 1/10th inch.) 1" snap rings to fit these axle shafts? Granger's "Heavy Duty Snap Rings are only 0.078 in. thick.

Are my original axle shafts, with shallower snap ring grooves, the odd balls? Steve and I have discussed drilling the shafts and installing roll pins as the earlier models. I'm just afraid of my drill not being perpendicular to the shaft and one end of the roll pin would be getting all of the force. I think that I'll put the reassembly on hold another week and order the correct rings for the new to me axle shafts from A to Z....

Edited by GAJoe
added info
  • Like 3

WheelHorse_of_course
On 11/26/2022 at 7:24 PM, GAJoe said:

Shawn also refaced the input pully with a side grinder and finished it with a pad on his die grinder. I could never do that by hand as he did.

He's a licensed aircraft mechanic that worked with me a few years back. Super good guy: great friend. Sorry to disappoint anyone but when we finish the repair he'll have so many hours in it that he gets the WH if I die before he does; done told the wife. He's one of my few friends that understands how well made it is and appreciates it.

Better yet, keep your eyes and ears peeled and find him a Horse*

*Wheel Horse, of course

• Like 3

WheelHorse_of_course
1 hour ago, GAJoe said:

On to my next dilemma :eek:.

The latest shaft from A to Z tractor is the same as the one that I got from eBay; #21 woodruff keys and deep cut snap ring groove of 1" OD. They both need 1.0" ID snap / retaining ring.

My original axle shafts have a shallower cut snap ring groove, that uses a 1 and 1/16th inch ID snap ring.

20221209_220501.jpg.e50971a5668da372f150cf2608c857d1.jpg  ResultBeatingHubBack.jpg.ab670ab202bcf9bb5d981a88630256ae.jpg

20221209_220600.jpg.a073d69c48195f88d893fc29468a404d.jpg 

with "W" and "112" stamped into it. I haven't been able to find these 1" snap rings in the 1/10" thickness to fill the ring groove.

What ID measurement are you guys and gals getting on your 1 and 1/8" shaft snap rings? Where can I find the extra thick (looks like 1/10th inch.) 1" snap rings to fit these axle shafts? Granger's "Heavy Duty Snap Rings are only 0.078 in. thick.

Are my original axle shafts, with shallower snap ring grooves, the odd balls? Steve and I have discussed drilling the shafts and installing roll pins as the earlier models. I'm just afraid of my drill not being perpendicular to the shaft and one end of the roll pin would be getting all of the force.

I am not the biggest expert by far. But I would certainly considerusing two thinner snap rings if you find two the right thickness to fill the groove.

• Like 3

953 nut

Check this out from McMaster-Carr. They have an outlet in Douglasville GA and ship very quickly.

140800007_Screenshot(99).png.18663b0a7ab76f657f807e16b21adf4f.png

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

You buy snap rings by the external diameter of the axle.  Also by the heavy duty ones.  and mount so sharp edge faces the inner end of the axle

• Like 5

ebinmaine

@GAJoe

I'll put a 3rd vote in for McMaster Carr.  

Excellent company.  

• Like 4

GAJoe
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

:text-yeahthat:

You buy snap rings by the external diameter of the axle.  Also by the heavy duty ones.  and mount so sharp edge faces the inner end of the axle

So my originals are oversized for 1 & 1/8". I wonder if they couldn't sorce the correct size and went a size larger and cut the groove more shallow to have a snug fit. My original shaft was not cut deep enough to take the ring for 1 & 1/8" inch. 

20221209_220501.jpg

McMaster Carr ring.JPG

ResultBeatingHubBack.jpg

• Like 2

GAJoe

OK 

I got a 10 pack ordered. If anybody needs some I'll sell up to four to recoup some shipping, nearly $10. But at least I found and got what I need. 

Thanks again you guys!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
40 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

OK 

I got a 10 pack ordered. If anybody needs some I'll sell up to four to recoup some shipping, nearly $10. But at least I found and got what I need. 

Thanks again you guys!

I'd be glad to take those off your hands Sir!! 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

wonder if

Wheelhorse was well known for using quite a lot of Standard Parts.  

It's possible that they made a change because the Standard Parts changed    

• Like 1

GAJoe
32 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd be glad to take those off your hands Sir!! 

No charge for you. You met my need with the key.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

GAJoe
20 hours ago, GAJoe said:

I think that I'll put the reassembly on hold another week and order the correct rings for the new to me axle shafts ...............

The weather wasn't good today for working on the deck so I decided to put the gears and shifter rails back in. All went well.

before.jpg.592e483935e90a018332ff53cc363074.jpg After.jpg.871b919145773773dad3d742bd02a3ef.jpg

I think that I got the second detent bearing on my third try. I nearly had to take everything out to find that second bearing on the second try. Here's a before and after. And it passed the shift test!

And look what else turned up:

Key.jpg.fdc4533f0563464e5dfea611999b1b3e.jpg

My key ! The original complete with dealer key fob. 

It was a good day! (:.

Edited by GAJoe
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, GAJoe said:

And look what else turned up:

Key.jpg.fdc4533f0563464e5dfea611999b1b3e.jpg

My key ! The original complete with dealer key fob. 

It was a good day! (:.

Hey can you show a picture of the whole tractor on that leaflet?

VERY cool !! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sailman

Saw another Georgia WH owner here and enjoyed following your journey with the C-160 tranny. Looking forward to hearing how she works when back in service! The experts on this site are an AMAZING bunch of folks! One of the reasons I got the Wheel horse....addiction....

The C-160 was at the top of my bucket list and over the years I lucked into finding a C-160 Hydro and a 416-8 that is basically the same tractor just newer. Great tractors! You will enjoy it a lot.

Drove past Eastanollee yesterday on my way to Piedmont SC. Fellow had an original 701 that I picked up. The round hoods are my current interest as the grand kids love the tractors so wanted ones for them (but not the nut roasters). My big ones are the workers and the round hoods will be for fun!

GO DAWGS!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

GAJoe
On 12/10/2022 at 8:48 AM, 953 nut said:

Check this out from McMaster-Carr. They have an outlet in Douglasville GA and ship very quickly.

140800007_Screenshot(99).png.18663b0a7ab76f657f807e16b21adf4f.png

I got the snap rings for 1 and 1/8" shaft and they arrived quickly but the groove is deeper than the ID so it is loose to spin. I guess I will have to  measure the diameter of the groove with an accurate devise and reorder  ): .

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

Does it matter if they spin in the grooves ?

• Like 1

GAJoe
On 11/26/2022 at 9:23 PM, 953 nut said:

The snap ring needs to be a snug fit. Give Lincoln at A-Z a call on that axle, it sounds like the correct one.

• Like 1

GAJoe

The diameter of the groove measures 0.995 on both axle shafts.

The snap ring for the 1 and 1/8" inch shaft that I got measures 1.03" ID.

The next smaller size is 0.978 ID for a 1 and 1/16" shaft. I think that is what I need. What say you guys with experience?

Smaller Snap Ring.JPG

• Like 1

GAJoe

Those smaller snap rings did stretch a bit to get them over the splines and they can be rotated in the groove but they don't have the 1/16' up and down movement. It the best that I can do. They are getting maximum contact with the splines.

20221216_203947.jpg

• Like 3

GAJoe

I just have to say that the Evapo-Rust performed excellent for removing the rust. Look at the before and after with no elbow grease what-so-ever.

20221126_141218.jpg.f3556882aba22e002a1fefadf1878e67.jpgDifferentialAfter.jpg  

Edited by GAJoe
added details.
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2