Wvtroutbum81

1992 312-8 restoration

Sparky

Looks great! 
  I think everyone else does the tractor restoration first and then loses interest when it’s time for the deck …I think you have the right idea  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 8

Wvtroutbum81

Thanks, I need to find someone near WV that can be trusted to redo the Kholer M12

it runs but smokes a little on start up

• Like 1

oliver2-44
13 hours ago, Wvtroutbum81 said:

Thanks, I need to find someone near WV that can be trusted to redo the Kholer M12

it runs but smokes a little on start up

Do you know if it just needs to be bored oversize, or does the crank also need to be turned undersize?

Automotive machine shops around me won't touch a small engine.  I've found a couple of dirt bike shops that will bore the cylinder for me at a reasonable cost. 

But I haven't found anyone that would grind the crankshaft.

You might figure out how far you are from member @richmondred01 that rebuilds them.

• Like 2

richmondred01
1 minute ago, oliver2-44 said:

Do you know if it just needs to be bored oversize, or does the crank also need to be turned undersize?

Automotive machine shops around me won't touch a small engine.  I've found a couple of dirt bike shops that will bore the cylinder for me at a reasonable cost. 

But I haven't found anyone that would grind the crankshaft.

You might figure out how far you are from member @richmondred01 that rebuilds them.

yep I can do it. 

• Like 2

Wvtroutbum81

Put the new deck on and moved the fuel pump back by the tank, the new deck isso quiet!

5DB3FD72-5780-49E7-A7D3-ED0FA218BB7F.jpeg

• Heart 5

Lee1977

You need to add a 1/8" thick plate inside the deck under the height adjuctment bracket. The 42" decks are bad to crack right between the bolts and rust out there.. 

• Like 2

peter lena

@Wvtroutbum81  like your road testers, in addition  to that deck , could re grease those mule drive bearings , with a hi temp grease , also lightly grease the pto  inner needle bearing  and outer bearing . that mule drive is usually in a heavy drag state , having converted my 3  units over , the easy / quiet spin up  is so worth it .  pete

• Excellent 1

Wvtroutbum81

Thanks for the tips guys!

gonna get all the mechanicals sorted and then paint it last.

DeepH2O

I, too, am restoring my Dads 1989 312-8. Haven’t made the progress I feel like I should’ve done by now, but I’m making progress. I’m currently working on priming everything. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
On 11/12/2022 at 3:50 PM, Wvtroutbum81 said:

5DB3FD72-5780-49E7-A7D3-ED0FA218BB7F.jpeg

I think you may be mistaken about who's tractor this really is... perhaps you should finish this one up for the girls and, uhm, go get your own... :ychain:

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 11/12/2022 at 3:50 PM, Wvtroutbum81 said:

Put the new deck on and moved the fuel pump back by the tank, the new deck isso quiet!

Love the very inventive rear chain tensioning system! :)