Sign in to follow this  
Wilsonrl48747

Weed whip replacement line or diff cutter heads

Wilsonrl48747

I thought I would throw out the question, does anyone have any favorite line for weed whips? Gas powered Homelite works great, but it seems I go through tons of line. Granted, I got a couple of spools of it at a garage sale a few years back, so it may be really old and brittle, but I was wondering if any of you have found any that are tougher than others. Also, I have seen some of those different cutter heads with plastic wing type things on them and other varieties. Has anyone had any luck with those working for you?

Thanks

KyBlue

I use the stuff from Stihl... In a year and a half, I've only refilled the spool once...last week! Not bad IMO

wh500special

I like the Echo Crossfire line. It is square rather than round and cuts a little better for a longer period of time.

If you can, use heavy line (your trimmer may not allow it though). I use 0.105" to 0.125" and it seldom needs to be advanced when trimming around the house.

Most lightweight trimmers won't let you use bigger than about 0.080" though so you'll need to look to your OM.

Steve

wh500special

Forgot to comment on the cutting blades....

I've had mixed luck with those little flailing blades. They work well when cutting grass and soft materials but if you bump a rock, concrete, or something really hard they can snap off. When they fly thru the air they make one heckuva bullet. they are designed to hinge, but I think there are instances where they break first.

I've not been as pleased with them as just using heavy monofilament.

i don't know how hard/easy it is for you to respool, but on my trimmer I can respool the line in about a minute and it is a dual feed tap-to-advance trimmer head that has never failed me yet. If yours is a PITA to deal with, the little blades might be a good alternative for you. Some trimmer are easier to deal with than others.

For best results with trimmer line, make sure you're swinging as long of a piece as you can. The added speed at the tip makes a real difference. Also, don't "crowd" the head by taking too much of a bite at a time. It greatly reduces cutting perormance and wears line out faster.

Steve