Dennis C.

paint options

Dennis C.

I see there are paint codes for the various model years of Horses but they are all for spray applications.

Anyone ever use powder coat on their Wheel Horse and if so what color would be a match?

SylvanLakeWH

Lots of opinions...

JoeM

One of the hottest forum topics.

No official rules / nothing etched in stone. 

I will say if you can go look at a restored horse and find one that has a shade of red you like, ask the owner what kind of paint they used.

Some look more orangey in the sun and some shade to pink. 

One of the most talked about is Regal Red.

Darrenw85

I have some of my tractors powder coated. Usually frame, front axle, footrest, sometimes the engine tins, etc. The hood and other tractor tins are painted. 

The place that does my powder coating uses Ral 3003 for the red and Porcelain white from prismatic powders for the wheels. 

Posted is the paint code for the red paint I use. This color is very similar to IH red. The latest tractor I restored is posted for a reference for the colors. 

image.png.d69fb83338eec9918572cfd1bb889c43.png

IMG_20220620_190116258_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Dennis C.

Nice!!! Thanks for the info. Isn't the 1996 Toro Red a different shade than the rest of the model years?

The only reason i want powder coat is that I get a good price on the application. I've stripped and painted a couple of Horses but I'm really not set up for a professional looking finish.

Heatingman
On 11/7/2022 at 2:00 AM, Dennis C. said:

Nice!!! Thanks for the info. Isn't the 1996 Toro Red a different shade than the rest of the model years?

The only reason i want powder coat is that I get a good price on the application. I've stripped and painted a couple of Horses but I'm really not set up for a professional looking finish.

I have thought about doing this on a cub original Im working on. And the price is reasonable. 

The biggest issue for me with the cub is the transaxle assembly. I would likely want to spray that separate, as any oils etc.. that may leak out during the bake will cause a problem with the coating, and if taken apart and cleaned out would be troublesome to reassemble after coating to maintain a mar free finish.

So the spray and the powder need to match to look right.

May be easier on a horse with a uni-drive as its a much easier design to put together. 

So I would say, have a sample part done, and then see if you can find a matching spray, or vice versa. Bring a sprayed part in and see if the powder will match it.

Or do the powder coated parts a totally different color that compliments the sprayed parts. 

The right color is the color that looks good to you. Everyone else’s opinions are irrelevant in that regard. 

Cause no matter what or how much you spend, its never gonna be a numbers matching concourse de elegance level car or similar that correctness really matters from a sense of value. 

• Like 1

rmaynard

My neighbor had a C-141 powder coated back in 2012. He says that if his memory serves him correctly, he used Prismatic Powder Electric Red on the body, with Oyster White on the wheels. You can get a pack of color samples from Prismatic and find a red that looks good to you.

• Like 2

Dennis C.

rmaynard, I believe Toro  Wheel Horse is a different shade of red than  the older WH tractors Mine is a 1996 Toro and I know Toro markets their own color.

rmaynard
On 11/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, Dennis C. said:

rmaynard, I believe Toro  Wheel Horse is a different shade of red than  the older WH tractors

That is true, but come to the WHCC show and see hundreds of horses, all in varying shades of red.

• Like 1