Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

Questions about the 60's model numbering

kpinnc

Not many early 60's models down here, but I see one from time to time. Trouble is, I'm somewhat confused on the numbering process Wheel Horse used. I've read up all the info I have (which is terribly insufficient), and I'm still lost. Here's why:

Martino's book lists some examples and what the numbers mean. Makes sense until I drop in different models...

Model 400- (4)=hp, (0)=manual start, (0)=1960

Model 551- (5)=hp, (5)=electric start, (1)=1961

Based on this, why isn't a 701 listed as a 751?

What is the middle number "3" in 633 for?

I'm guessing in 1965, the middle number "7" was introduced for hydros (ex. 875), and Martino's book says the "6" was used in 1967 for 6 speeds (ex. 867).

The 701 and the 633 are the only "odd" numbers I could think of at the moment. If there are more let me know.

Thanks!

Kevin

Rollerman

Well there is also the 1046....nothing more than a 1056 type tractor that used the 65 style low profile big block on a riser plate.

But yeah there are some glitches in the 60's number system that will leave you wondering.

TT

Don't forget the 1045 and the 702. :thumbs:

The middle "3" in 633 indicated a recoil start Kohler K-141 engine was used -- The model number 603 was already used for the Tecumseh-powered model. (only logical explanation I have)

You also have to pay close attention to the "dyslexic" numbers -- like 1054 & 1045, 876 & 867, 502 & 520, etc. They can really get confusing when you're looking at them quickly! :thumbs:

Rollerman

Terry "TT" being I am currently working on a 1045 I don't know how I overlooked that one. :thumbs:

Your sharp. :thumbs:

BPjunk

Not many early 60's models down here, but I see one from time to time. Trouble is, I'm somewhat confused on the numbering process Wheel Horse used. I've read up all the info I have (which is terribly insufficient), and I'm still lost. Here's why:

Martino's book lists some examples and what the numbers mean. Makes sense until I drop in different models...

Model 400- (4)=hp, (0)=manual start, (0)=1960

Model 551- (5)=hp, (5)=electric start, (1)=1961

Based on this, why isn't a 701 listed as a 751?

What is the middle number "3" in 633 for?

I'm guessing in 1965, the middle number "7" was introduced for hydros (ex. 875), and Martino's book says the "6" was used in 1967 for 6 speeds (ex. 867).

The 701 and the 633 are the only "odd" numbers I could think of at the moment. If there are more let me know.

Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin,

The Wheel Horse model numbering system does not work for all models in the early 60's, the "0" does not denote any thing for a 701 and 702. It may have been planned for the 7hp Kohler K-161 to be a recoil start engine instead of a electric start. In 1963 the model numbering system did include a way to designate a 603 recoil start from a 633 recoil start by using the number "3", the number "3" represent the higher priced model.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

kpinnc

Stephen, Terry, and Bill- Thanks for your information, and helping me understand.

I don't know what my next tractor will be, but I'm hoping for something like a 604, a 704, or a similar round nose with the hood type like the Lawn Ranger.

For some reason, that style tractor is growing on me... Unless I find a 875,876, or 877... :D

Of course, pickings are too slim down here to be so "picky" :thumbs:

I was hoping by understanding the numbering system, I could narrow down the models to look for. Not a problem though, and I thank all of you for setting me straight! :thumbs:

Kevin

pond195520032003

Kevin, pickins would not be so slim if Bill didnt live so close :D:thumbs: also on your 551 you listed the engine as being a 5hp :thumbs: its actually a 5.5hp :D :P

kpinnc

Greg,

It amazes me that people come here to find tractors. I have a hard time finding them, and when I do, they are usually modified in some way. :D

I knew about the 551 hp rating- the example I used was straight out of Martino's book. Sorry if my post seemed a little misleading. In all truth, my 551 has the wrong engine, and since it's in a box, I'm not even sure what HP it actually is. Imagine that! :thumbs:

Thanks for bringing this up. I didn't even think about how it looked, and I should have noted it somehow. :thumbs:

Kevin

pond195520032003

Kevin, thats ok, i just thought you might not have known :D you never know whats out there till you look! :thumbs: need to drive some back roads as thats where you will find something :P junk prices really put a hurting on us wheel horse guys as people are junking everything they get their hands on :thumbs: :D

kpinnc

junk prices really put a hurting on us wheel horse guys as people are junking everything they get their hands on

So true Greg, So true!

Kevin

oldandred

Heres another little kink in to the mix the 953 had a 9.5 kohler on it not ten but 9 1/2 hp

oldandred

now heres another one how about the 754 ???? its got the 7 hp kohler with generator starter

I think wheel horse just made the numbers up for the group of years that they were built in no ream or rime just for there way of doing things :thumbs:

T-Mo

I have been silent on this thread but have been reading it since it's inception. It's been a good education for me. :thumbs:

• Like 1

kpinnc

I have been silent on this thread but have been reading it since it's inception. It's been a good education for me.

Terry, that's a skill that I wouldn't hurt myself by learning! :thumbs:

All too often I blabber out something wrong! :thumbs:

Kevin

Curmudgeon

Heres another little kink in to the mix the 953 had a 9.5 kohler on it not ten but 9 1/2 hp

The Charger 9 has a 10HP Tecumseh.

The Kohler K-241, 10 horsepower engine has an actual rating of 10.5HP.

There are excepts to every rule, and exceptions to every exception.

CasualObserver

Raider 9 too. I think it was rated at like 9.6 Hp or something.

Rod(NASNUT)

Yes my Charger 9 has a 10HP Tecumseh. But is the differance in a Charger 9 and a charger 10? :thumbs:

charger10us

My 1968 Charger , the decals,& the hh-100 says it's a 10,, but if you look up the ####'s it's a Charger 9!!!!!!

Rollerman

My understanding with the "early" HH100's....that they are 9. something horsepower.

Carb & govenor revisions brought them up to the 10 horsepower mark later on.

Thats why you see Raider & Charger 9's etc,etc

Same deal with the 1964 K241 in the 953...it was not a true 10 horsepower engine.

With some govenor revisions it produced 10 horsepower when the came out with the 1054 in 64.

But this is all just what I heard from a small engine man & collector who knows his stuff & has steered me right on a lot of things

CasualObserver

My 1968 Charger , the decals,& the hh-100 says it's a 10,, but if you look up the ####'s it's a Charger 9!!!!!!

If I was going to guess.... when your Charger was new and still sitting on the floor at the dealer... and the new Charger 10s were coming in... nobody would want that Charger 9 when they could have a Charger 10.... Since in reality they were the same tractor.... the dealer probably changed the number on the decal! Wouldn't be the first time I suppose. You know what honest and trustworthy reputations salesmen have! :thumbs:

TT

They supposedly did that to differentiate between the Tecumseh 10 hp & the Kohler 10 hp.

CasualObserver

That doesn't make sense... the 1969 Charger 10s were Tecumsehs.

TT

But... in 1967 the 10hp tractors were Kohler powered. In 1968 the HH100 Tecumseh was available on the Raider & Charger. No matter how you number the tractor, the engines were 10hp.

I HEARD they did it so buyers would know they weren't getting a Kohler. :thumbs:

After everyone caught on, they changed it to the actual engine HP.

linen beige

Not to :whistle: but I recall reading that the 953 got it's name from having 9.5 inches of crop clearance, and being built in '63. The engine was 9.6 hp. It also fits as 9 or so hp, electric start/3speed, built in '63. My favorite exception to the numbering system is the 1054a, from '65. I have one, (although I have ag tires one it like the 1054.) it wears what look to be original "1054 Work Horse" decals on the hood sides. Was this the inspiration for the later Work Horse models? One reason I haven't repainted her yet is I don't want to loose those decals if I can't replace them with correct ones.

TT

Get some good clear pictures and measurements of them, and a fellow member by the name of Terry Dennis ("vinylguy52" on here) might be able to reproduce them. :whistle: