davem1111

Hitch + Winch + (maybe) Boom Project

davem1111

So, I've been kicking around some ideas, and have some parts & scrap metal spread out on the garage floor while I brainstorm these ideas.  I want to mostly use what I have and keep this as low-budget as possible, but can buy some stuff if it makes sense.

My first goal is to mount my small 12v winch to one of my tractors.  However, I want it to be movable and as versatile as possible.  What I'm considering, since I have an extra front mule plate (the one that the mule actually attaches to), I thought I could do this:

1. Weld the mule mount plate to the appropriate parts so it can be mounted on the BACK of the tractor in place of the regular hitch.

2. Weld up a 2" hitch receiver (already have one) so that it will attach to the mule mount plates, just like a mule does. (Yes, I know I can buy one of these, but they aren't exactly cheap. Plus, it's always fun to make yer own stuff).

Once I have #1 & #2 done, I can put just about anything that goes into a 2" receiver on either the front or the back of the tractor. I have one of those rectangular cargo trays that would come in handy sometimes, to start.

3. Next, I want to put together a plate/bracket with 2" insert, that holds my winch.  However, I also think it should include a battery box for a 12v car battery to run the winch, otherwise much "winching" will kill the tractor battery.

4. I'm also considering trying to make a boom that uses the winch to lift heavy things. I've seen some ideas around this on the site, maybe that I can adapt to my needs. It would be best if the winch could be used with or without the boom attached, so maybe adding another 2" receiver aimed up, and 2" square stock for the boom (at least the bottom part) would be one way of doing that.

Of course, all this stuff will be painted Regal Red. :D

If anyone has ideas along these lines, or links to other related ideas here at Red Square they could share, I would most appreciate it! :handgestures-thumbupright:   If I get around to sketching out what I've described, I'll share that.

• Like 3

Snoopy11

How exactly would the car battery get charged? :eusa-think:

Don

davem1111
12 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

How exactly would the car battery get charged? :eusa-think:

Don

One full charge from a regular battery charger before use should be enough for whatever I need to do - moving some small trees or lifting some firewood, etc.  However, it might be nice to wire it in parallel with the tractor battery so the engine recharges it while running too, if feasible.  I don't intend to leave this on the tractor all the time...

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@OldWorkHorse Steve and I messed around with this about a year and a half ago and I occasionally pick it up and do something quick.

I've used it once or twice in an infancy of project type form.

Works well but it's very very heavy for the size of tractors we have.

Here's a thread discussing the project and a bunch of other ideas.  

Snoopy11

I would think that an outside alternator might be helpful in your case... :eusa-think:

Jerry can give you some advice on that, I think.

Don

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Snoopy11 said:

I would think that an outside alternator might be helpful in your case... :eusa-think:

Jerry can give you some advice on that, I think.

Don

Might be the ideal way to go but I think you'd be okay if you started with a full charge battery and kept the 15 amp Wheel Horse system at decent RPM while the winch was in operation and for a good 10 to 15 minutes, after.

We were always told in the auto parts world in the days of yore that an alternator was never meant to charge a dead battery but was always meant to recharge after starting or usage. Most vehicle alternators even back in the '60s and seventies put out 35 to 41 amps which is obviously a fair amount more than 15.. 

SylvanLakeWH
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@OldWorkHorse Steve and I messed around with this about a year and a half ago and I occasionally pick it up and do something quick.

I've used it once or twice in an infancy of project type form.

Works well but it's very very heavy for the size of tractors we have.

Here's a thread discussing the project and a bunch of other ideas.  

Gonna need pics... :law-policeblue:

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

No pictures in that thread? I can't honestly say I remember.... 

wallfish

Charging a second battery with the tractor system is fairly simple with an isolator

The main battery charges first, then it will charge the second battery.

isolators allow charging multiple batteries automatically from one or two alternators, and prevent discharge or 'dumping of one battery into another. Each battery is charged according to its need without overcharging.

2100 100 amp battery isolator

Battery is the least worry of the project going here.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2

davem1111
43 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Charging a second battery with the tractor system is fairly simple with an isolator

The main battery charges first, then it will charge the second battery.

isolators allow charging multiple batteries automatically from one or two alternators, and prevent discharge or 'dumping of one battery into another. Each battery is charged according to its need without overcharging.

2100 100 amp battery isolator

Battery is the least worry of the project going here.

I hadn't considered that but that's a good point.  Since the link didn't work I Googled it and some of those are pretty expensive.

I found this on Amazon (which I have some distaste ordering from but I have to be realistic with my budget):  Stinger SGP38 80-AMP Battery Isolator and Relay,BLACK - $15.30

If the charging system is only 15 amps, 100 sure seems like overkill.  Am I missing something?

wallfish
2 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

I hadn't considered that but that's a good point.  Since the link didn't work I Googled it and some of those are pretty expensive.

I found this on Amazon (which I have some distaste ordering from but I have to be realistic with my budget):  Stinger SGP38 80-AMP Battery Isolator and Relay,BLACK - $15.30

If the charging system is only 15 amps, 100 sure seems like overkill.  Am I missing something?

For your purposes you won't need a crazy expensive isolator. Just search through them for the purposes you want

davem1111
2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

No pictures in that thread? I can't honestly say I remember.... 

If you go back to page 1 in that thread, there are a variety of pictures.  I see some ideas I like a lot... for example:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

SAM-0487.jpg

• Like 2