WheelHorse520H

607 stalling

WheelHorse520H

Okay folks, this one has me stumped. I was driving my 607 earlier with absolutely no issue whatsoever. Tonight I went to park it after not needing the trailer I had hooked up to it and it moved across the yard then stalled. I restarted the little predator 212 and tried moving in first gear, stalled again. Usually you can drive this thing on flat ground at idle in 1&2 with no problem. I repeated this process for gears 2 and 3 with the same result. I also noticed the belt wasn't moving when I let the clutch out. I was able to roll it by hand with it in neutral like always. To me it seems like the input shaft is seized. Last August-ish to February I replaced all the bearings in the transmission and was able to push the heavy wet Eastern Massachusetts snow like nothing. It is important to note that I goofed up and put about a half a quart less oil than I was supposed to after the rebuild and realized a little late, if you go fast enough the transmission whines a little but no major issues seem evident. Also important to note is the 3 gear was worn a little when I reassembled it in February so it popped out of gear occasionally, now it pops out almost every time you put it in third. This transmission really needs more love I'll admit but I don't use the tractor that often, nevermind for major work so I put the gear replacement off. Am I correct in assuming that the input shaft is probably seized/seizing? Thanks in advance for all the help.

wallfish

The condition is like it's stuck in 2 gears at once locking everything up but that wouldn't allow it to be pushed or rolled in neutral. So I'm guessing something came loose and got mashed in the gears and jamming them up. That would lock up the input shaft too

• Like 2

WheelHorse520H
20 minutes ago, wallfish said:

So I'm guessing something came loose and got mashed in the gears and jamming them up

That was my second guess because I think a couple teeth probably fell off third gear. What really stumped me was that I could still roll it in neutral.

wallfish

Some gears aren't turning in neutral by pushing it

Third gear is the least engaged gears of them all and they tend to grind off those small teeth from grinding gears shifting. Those 3rd gear teeth aren't that big and especially so if they were ground enough to pop out of gear, so I'd doubt it is that. But possible

You can try spinning the input pulley the opposite direction which would be forward since the engine turns it backwards but it will still need to be opened up.

WheelHorse520H

Thanks @wallfish, my wallets not happy but if it saves a WH I'll do it. Thanks for the help. I'll be back soon with questions if the gears look worn. I'll try to keep this thread posted on what happens and what I find.

• Like 1