Lman

1975 Ranger A-80-E no spark

Lman

I'm trying to restore my first lawn tractor, it's a 1975 A-80-E with a Tecumseh VM80 engine.

Starter motor works, engine turns over but does not fire. New spark plug gets wet, but does not appear to spark. I downloaded everything useful I could find, but I don't have all the tools. Before I take the flywheel off to check the points, what other things should I try? Is there an ignition cut-off wire I can try and disconnect? I have a hard time understanding the wiring in the picture below. What does it all do and where is (+) and (-)?

IMG_20221022_115400.jpg

Edited by Lman

ri702bill

I believe that is the diode setup for the charging system....

• Like 1

gwest_ca

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lman

Thank you very much, so that's the battery charger. Much obliged for the wiring diagram, that's gold! Dad and I used this mower for years without a battery. If only we knew we should have removed the diodes. Could not doing this have caused damage?

Edited by Lman

Lman

I should correct the topic title but I don't think I can. The spark plug does seem to produce a spark, but the mixture in cylinder does not ignite. I'll try spraying some carb cleaner in, haven't got that yet, see if it fires up. There might be some stale fuel or gunk in the carb. 

Edited by Lman
Update
  • Like 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, Lman said:

There might be some stale fuel or gunk in the carb.

:WRS:

I think you have the right idea. Rebuilding the carburetor will probably do wonders. If you had been using gas with ethanol in the past I would suggest replacing the fuel line, fuel filter and rebuilding the carburetor. Ethanol has killed many small engine fuel systems. use this site to find real gas in your area.   https://www.pure-gas.org/

• Thanks 1

Lman
On 10/23/2022 at 2:01 AM, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

I think you have the right idea. Rebuilding the carburetor will probably do wonders. If you had been using gas with ethanol in the past I would suggest replacing the fuel line, fuel filter and rebuilding the carburetor. Ethanol has killed many small engine fuel systems. use this site to find real gas in your area.   https://www.pure-gas.org/

Success, it's running again!

• Thanks 1