rmaynard

Aerosol 2K Clear Coat

rmaynard

There are several 2K Clear Coat products on the market today. Eastwood AeroSpray, ERA, SprayMax, etc. Has anyone tried any of these over regular rattle can paint jobs?

Just curious. 

WHX??

I know Madge @AMC RULES uses a rattle  Eastwood clear coat product. Claims he sets down the can of rattle  regal and picks up the clear coat. Doesn't even wait for the red to get tacky? His jobs look awesome here. 

I tried it once on some rims but orange peeled something fierce but that was after the off white dried so I didn't do something right. 

Edited by WHX??

rmaynard

Curious which Eastwood product he uses. @AMC RULES Any enlightment?

WHX??

They only have two clear coats if i recollect Bob ... I think one was called a diamond coat or something... I'm sure he'll chime in . 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

rmaynard

I'm looking at this. Not as expensive as Eastwood 2K, but still a bit pricey. But if it works, it should be worth the money.

Screenshot_20221019-200412.png.f9709a1849be7d95e9aa93e5baca7c3d.png

Edited by rmaynard

AMC RULES

Have had such great results using the old diamond clear on just about everything, I'm now wanting to try this new version with it's 300° of heat protection next.  :thumbs:

Screenshot_20221019-202050_Chrome.jpg.c624fc632f190d3e80b974247ece425f.jpg

• Like 3

WHX??

Just for the halibut Bob jungle Eastwood clear and see what shakes... 

WHX??

I'm liken that Madge... :handgestures-thumbupright:

What we working on Bob? 

Edited by WHX??

AMC RULES

Last thing I did was one single coat to seal this steering wheel after staining it to match the seat.

Screenshot_20221019_203119.jpg.ef745d637e9a1f0ca5ecce07eee703a2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

the seat.

Wow!  Sweet seet!

rmaynard

Talked to technical service rep at Eastwood yesterday, and he says that Duraspray is not a true 2K and does not cure like a 2K. It takes days to weeks to cure vs hours with 2K. He did not recommend it for clear-coating anything like alkyd paint (Rustoleum) since it will actually soften the paint and possibly lift it 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Did you also have a discussion with him about the original diamond clear?

rmaynard
22 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I'm liken that Madge... :handgestures-thumbupright:

What we working on Bob? 

My Grandson painted his 701 with Krylon Farm and Implement paint. It's chipping real easy, and some pieces have less than desirable gloss. 

Eastwood tech says that their Duraspray is not a 2K, but has 2K properties. Sticks by chemical action where their 2K Aerospray mixes an Isocyanate with the clear and sticks by mechanical adhesion. Therefore being a true 2K, there is a pot life. The other one, Duraspray, has no pot life. Kind of hard to explain but I think I understand. I can't justify the price of Aerospray ($29.90 plus shipping). The SprayMax 2K is only $20 shipped and rated #1 on the jungle site.

rmaynard
42 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I've been wanting to try this brand which claims that you don't need to use the entire can in one session.  They say you can put it on the shelf and use the remainder later.

https://www.amazon.com/Car-Rep®-Epoxy-Coat-Jett-Black/dp/B08NW6C2YZ/ref=asc_df_B08NW6C2YZ/

Jeff, unless it has an activator bulb inside the can that is pierced and mixed with the product, it's not a true 2K. I don't know how they can call it 2K.

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, rmaynard said:

Jeff, unless it has an activator bulb inside the can that is pierced and mixed with the product, it's not a true 2K. I don't know how they can call it 2K.

I understood the same.  Their website has a fair amount of info, but it's been a while since I read it, so can't quote it.  Probably worth another read...

• Like 1

rmaynard
40 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Did you also have a discussion with him about the original diamond clear?

Diamond clear is apparently no longer available.

• Sad 2

WHX??

OK  so someone school me on the 2k thing... what does it actually mean? 

23 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

My Grandson painted his 701 with Krylon Farm and Implement paint. It's chipping real easy, and some pieces have less than desirable gloss. 

Funny you should say this Bob ... I have a 701 on the table right now. So far I have no less than three different paints on it.

Yep i know but once it gets dusty, dirty and even most likely worked nobody will notice except for the most discerning eye and I wont care... its red!

Chipping is bad on some, worse on others but good on some. More details & pics if desired on brands. 

oliver2-44
15 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Diamond clear is apparently no longer available.

I just checked their website and it says due back Jan3rd

• Thanks 2

rmaynard
7 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

OK  so someone school me on the 2k thing... what does it actually mean? 

2K paints/coatings require a chemical reaction for hardening. Hardeners are usually isocyanates that combine with the base paint to form very durable coatings.

• Thanks 2

JCM

Very interesting topic. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

The SprayMax 2K is only $20 shipped and rated #1 on the jungle site.

A little $ can get you any rating that you want at a store.:twocents-twocents:

1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

eff, unless it has an activator bulb inside the can that is pierced and mixed with the product, it's not a true 2K. I don't know how they can call it 2K.

This is my thought's. The only urethane's that I believe in are the ones that are manually mixed together (usually at a rate of 4 to 1 and they only have a pot life of 4hrs) and then sprayed through a gun. Don't clean the gun & you will have a solid mass/mess by the next morning. 

Before clearing over a cured paint you should first wet sand the cured paint with 1000 to 1500 grit sand paper. This gives a good mechanical scratch for the clear to stick to.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

JoeM
6 hours ago, Achto said:

Before clearing over a cured paint you should first wet sand the cured paint with 1000 to 1500 grit sand paper. This gives a good mechanical scratch for the clear to stick to

:text-yeahthat: Makes a much smoother looking job too.

But on Rustoleum Paint I have found after color sanding, even if hardener is used in the paint, I had to wait a week to ten days again for the sanded surface to reharden. IDK if this makes sense but it worked. 

The corner on this side cover lifted after color sand and clear.

679039518_Sidecoverclearliftingmayhaveneedtodrymoreaftercolorsand1.jpg.088c610ab1de8018841bc79c6f1d7a06.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, rmaynard said:

2K Aerospray mixes an Isocyanate with the clear and sticks by mechanical adhesion.

Sounds like this would be a good product for clearing polished aluminum or other unpainted surfaces. Regular clears just don't have good adhesion.

• Like 1

varosd
16 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Last thing I did was one single coat to seal this steering wheel after staining it to match the seat.

Screenshot_20221019_203119.jpg.ef745d637e9a1f0ca5ecce07eee703a2.jpg

Wow Craig!

I didn't think you could have a genuine 'imitation' Naugahyde seat From a Gremlin or Pacer on a WH!

• Haha 2