"Manic-Mechanic"

Hydro Deferential Hardware

"Manic-Mechanic"

I know the original bolts are 3/8-16 3-1/4, I want to upgrade to a 9, however, they are 3-1/2. My question then, will I need to cut the extra 1/4 off these bolts?

Diferential Hardware.png

• Like 1

ri702bill

I cannot answer if you do or do not NEED to cut them,,,,, but, if you decide to cut them, they are hardened thru, not just the surface. They would need to be either ground or disc sanded, but do not overheat them - that kills the temper and defeats the purpose of using them......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
12 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

I cannot answer if you do or do not NEED to cut them,,,,, but, if you decide to cut them, they are hardened thru, not just the surface. They would need to be either ground or disc sanded, but do not overheat them - that kills the temper and defeats the purpose of using them......

Well, the need would only be if they would rub. Cutting with a cut-off wheel may heat them some, nut sure if it'd be enough to alter the temper? Really would've preferred the correct length but seems to be an odd size...

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

Do they need to be Grade 9 ?   Are the originals Grade 8 ?  Because those are available in 3-1/4"

image.png.2ea280966f283896802be05f5bf7bfd8.png

Plus, you get qty 10 for $2 less than qty 5 of the G9.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
9 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Do they need to be Grade 9 ?   Are the originals Grade 8 ?  Because those are available in 3-1/4"

image.png.2ea280966f283896802be05f5bf7bfd8.png

Plus, you get qty 10 for $2 less than qty 5 of the G9.

I have grade 9, but not sure if the extra 1/4" is too long? I'll know soon enough as I will put the assembly in the case and dry fit 

Edited by "Manic-Mechanic"
  • Like 2

8ntruck

Using an abrasive cutoff wheel on the bolt will change the heat treat of the bolt in the area adjacent to the cut, maybe up to 1/8" away from the cut.  Assuming that the affected area will be sticking out of the nut in the assembly, the strength of the bolt should not be changed.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
20 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Using an abrasive cutoff wheel on the bolt will change the heat treat of the bolt in the area adjacent to the cut, maybe up to 1/8" away from the cut.  Assuming that the affected area will be sticking out of the nut in the assembly, the strength of the bolt should not be changed.

I could live with that, if need be...

Jeff-C175
Just now, "Manic-Mechanic" said:

I could live with that, if need be...

And if you do have to cut them, go slowly and don't let the heat build up.  Maybe even 'heat sink' them by threading a nut onto the bolt first.  The extra mass should help in keeping the heat from traveling too far down the bolt. In fact, when I cut any bolt I always do that in an effort to be able to 'chase' the threads after cutting.  I've even threaded the correct die onto the bolt first.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

"Manic-Mechanic"
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

And if you do have to cut them, go slowly and don't let the heat build up.  Maybe even 'heat sink' them by threading a nut onto the bolt first.  The extra mass should help in keeping the heat from traveling too far down the bolt. In fact, when I cut any bolt I always do that in an effort to be able to 'chase' the threads after cutting.  I've even threaded the correct die onto the bolt first.

Funny thing, I do exactly the same after dressing up the the very end...

• Like 2