peejo50

Lubrication type for Hydro transmissions

peejo50

I'm curious to know about the type of oil recommended for Eaton transaxle. I have a Wheel Horse 312 Hydro and a Cub Cadet 2182 Super Tractor that both take the same oil filter. My Cub uses UDT or IH B-6 hydraulic fluid, but the Wheel Horse uses standard motor oil.  Also, can standard and synthetic oils be mixed? I've heard of problems with oil leakage when changing to synthetic. Anyone have some insight on this?

• Like 1

squonk

Oil leakage is Horse Hockey but I wouldn't mix them. . I use Mobil 1 10W 30

• Like 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, peejo50 said:

UDT or IH B-6 hydraulic fluid

Universal Dynamic Tractor Oil is a dual purpose hydraulic and transmission lubricating oil. I have been using the Tractor Supply UDT in Eaton and Sundstrand hydros  with good results. If you buy the 5 Gallon it is $ 2.75 a Qt.

Traveller Premium Tractor Hydraulic Fluid, 5 gal., T806391

• Like 3

WHX??

Like Sqounky I been using the Mob in 10-30. Since I am like Sqounky and on a fixed income and got 6 hydros to feed I switched to a cheaper brand syn. except for my main worker 520s that  I have mob 1 syn in them. 

Feedback from the other fellas say syn does a bit better in cold climes. I still wouldn't mix synthetic and regular.  

I think Richard's suggested fluid is fine too and has a decent 1410 filter and kept clean. 

And oh yeah that leakage thing is horse hockey too... you got a bad seal if it leaks and like bearings they are designed to wear out.  

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

JoeM
7 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Tractor Supply UDT in Eaton and Sundstrand hydros

:text-yeahthat: It is a 10w30 weight oil and has a great additive package designed to take the shearing in hydros and hydraulic systems. The forces are much greater in hydros than in a engine shearing.

Looking at when the wheel horses were manufactured. 10w30 motor oil was an oil that worked and was cheap. Special hydro oils were coming but expensive. 

The synthetics transfer heat better, but at a cost. Full synthetic hydro oils require a king's ransom. About double of the TSC stuff. 

105$ for 5 gallon of this stuff, but don't forget you have to sponsor their race cars!

image.png.fb93c178126121318879bf0efbee87b0.png

I have seen the two oils mixed with no issues. But I am sure why you would want to mix them??

Synthetics in internal combustion engines yes. Our WH hydros......really they ran great for years on good old 10w30.

Oil selection sometimes becomes just a piece of mind. Some find comfort in brands and that is okay.

I am more of a spec and test guy. I found during the years of my work, need to read the spec sheets, and look at the history of operation if possible. 

What ever you use, keep it clean and the moisture out.

And never use the brand of oil called "lack of!"  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

rjg854

Can that be used in place of either oil or transmission fluid?   I have one that uses oil and one that uses transmission fluid, it would be nice if both were the same.

WHX??

Same stuff I use in my HY pumps with no issues. A little too expensive to have to fill hydros but less than a gallon for HY -2s & 953 lifts. 

HY pumps originally used a atf red fluid but since I cleaned & rebuilt them and was starting from dry I didn't have to worry about mixing them. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

peejo50

I only asked about mixing in that even after draining the system, there will still be some of the old oil left in the cylinder and hoses. From what I've read, synthetic blend is just that, a mix of conventional and synthetic. 

I'll put conventional 10 w 30 back in the Hydro and save my UDT for the Cub and the Kubota. 

Thanks for all the input.

Edited by peejo50

WHX??

I don't think what little will be left in the rams & lines wouldn't  hurt anything Pee. I just spent 186 on a jug of oem  Kubota trans oil,  engine oil & filters for my 'Bota SxS.  Guarantee you next suggested oil change its gonna see generic. I keep drinkin & smoken the way I do ain't gonna live long enough to see bad results... oh my do I sound like dear old dad! 

Point is I think the oems tout ther fluids/filters just so when I walk into the dealer they all get their pants down and give it to me. 

I know the dealers got kids to put through college but that kinda coin for 3 filters & some oil? 

Thanks for letting me rant...:soapbox: