RonnieB2nd

416-H I found for sale but.....

RonnieB2nd

The mower is clean as a pin, hubcaps nice and shiny, its been garaged all its life, but its got no electrical power. They made this tractor for one year. So if its the wiring harness I may part it out if I can get it cheap enough. Hes asking 600 as it sits..I was thinking more along the lines of 400 as is. The mower is just so clean and such good shape that Im really tempted to roll the dice. ITs a 3 hour ride, but if I take my fluke and check the fuses and they're getting power, then the harness is good right? or am I wrong? I know it could be something simple like the battery, a fuse, switch, solenoid, or the starter, but worst case is the harness being shot..Heres a picture, it needs washing but other than that? she dont need much

418.jfif

Edited by RonnieB2nd
  • Like 2

Achto

Worst case scenario, you can always make a new harness. Doubt that it will come to that though. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

RonnieB2nd
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

Worst case scenario, you can always make a new harness. Doubt that it will come to that though. 

I need to correct it,, I got the model wrong..Its a 416-H

• Like 3

lynnmor

A wiring "harness" is just a bunch of wires that just sit there and behave themselves till someone molests them.  On rare occasions the wire may be broken by accident.  You do not need a "harness" unless there was a fire or some such calamity, some very old tractors might have decaying insulation.  Most electrical problems are in a component or a connector at the end of a wire  The most common electrical failures on tractors like you are considering are in the 9-pin white connector near the battery, the fuse block, or in the ignition switch.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 5

RonnieB2nd

Thanks for all the help but I'm gonna pass, its got well over 2500 hrs on it, its just not worth it to me. I found a Cub 2255 with a Kohler Command engine, 314 hrs, garage kept, all service records, looks almost showroom new for 500. It was for my Mother, she blew up her Husqvarna and she always loved my WH 520-H so I was thinking of getting her one of her own, but I couldn't turn that Cub down I think its TDS 2155 to be exact...Beautiful tractor but no Wheel Horse by far...

• Like 2

RonnieB2nd
43 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

A wiring "harness" is just a bunch of wires that just sit there and behave themselves till someone molests them.  On rare occasions the wire may be broken by accident.  You do not need a "harness" unless there was a fire or some such calamity, some very oil tractors might have decaying insulation.  Most electrical problems are in a component or a connector at the end of a wire  The most common electrical failures on tractors like you are considering are in the 9-pin white connector near the battery, the fuse block, or in the ignition switch.

He won't budge off 600, for all I know the engine could be blown, tranny shot, or any number of things...Plus over 2500 hrs just not worth it to me...Thank you for your help though 

• Like 2

kpinnc

I agree. 2500 hours on a twin cylinder hydro is alot. 

That assumes the hour meter is right, and nothing has been rebuilt/ replaced.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

if the tractor is a clean as you say, there a good chance the keys been left on more than once and the hour meter just kept ringing them up.  

Here, I'll put a little shame on you..............Go look at it for your Mothers sake

• Like 2

lynnmor
7 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

if the tractor is a clean as you say, there a good chance the keys been left on more than once and the hour meter just kept ringing them up.  

Here, I'll put a little shame on you..............Go look at it for your Mothers sake

Onan engines use the oil pressure switch to turn on the hour meter, so hours only add up if the engine is running.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

Onan engines use the oil pressure switch to turn on the hour meter, so hours only add up if the engine is running.

Thanks for pointing that out@lynnmor. I learn something everyday  on RedSquare. 

• Like 1