bswet1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  nice deuce!  I bet you’ll wear your left arm out before you wear it out!  :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Handy Don

Welcome.

As pullstart mentioned, using a two-stage on the "armstrong" lift is REAL WORK.

Make sure you search for and get the OM and IPL (owners manual and illustrated parts list) from this site's files archive. Search using the model number of the blower. That'll show you how to correctly mount it, including the critically important load balancing spring.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

bswet1
12 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Welcome.

As pullstart mentioned, using a two-stage on the "armstrong" lift is REAL WORK.

Make sure you search for and get the OM and IPL (owners manual and illustrated parts list) from this site's files archive. Search using the model number of the blower. That'll show you how to correctly mount it, including the critically important load balancing spring.

Yeah, I've been poring over the manuals already. Thanks for the input!

• Like 3

Achto

:WRS: Great looking tractor.

Edited by Achto

Pullstart

Are those rear tires fluid filled?  If not, it might be worth “loading” them for more rear weight.  A lot of snow pushing/blowing people also attach a length of roller chain in a loop around the front tires for a blade like bit of traction while steering.  

• Like 2

bswet1
17 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Are those rear tires fluid filled?  If not, it might be worth “loading” them for more rear weight.  A lot of snow pushing/blowing people also attach a length of roller chain in a loop around the front tires for a blade like bit of traction while steering.  

Not sure. I haven't had the chance to play with it much. I pulled it off my trailer and parked it. I am going to give it a good once over, greasing, and cleaning this weekend. 

• Like 3

peter lena

@bswet1  welcome to the groupe !  something easy to do . if you would like , give that  an aerosol penetrating oil  spray down , all painted surface's , let it soak in a day , clean it off with a soft clean cloth , you have just fed the paint , and retained patina . notice the deeper slick finish? typically do that 2 times . that insures paint retention of lubrication. another thing is a thorough baseline service , all lubricants , thorough greasing , check that blower drive chain , for lubrication and adjustment , engine belt drive , drives that, just behind blower.  change rear end oil , probably new shift boot . super lube oil on those , throttle / choke cables . verify all your electrical connections , eliminate corrosion , might consider a new seat , others will chime in , with ideas / input , good luck with it , pete

OldWorkHorse

:text-welcomeconfetti: Got myself a 314-8 couple years back use it for snowblowing with a single stage short shoot and it's a beast! Nice score you got there!

Edited by OldWorkHorse

rjg854

:WRS:

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

That’s a nice machine.  You made a good score.      

WHX??

:WRS:

Ed Kennell

A dual stage blower, deck w/bagger, and plow, and a 312-8....you got a deal.

Here's the but...IMO, the 312-8 is not a good machine to operate a twin blower.  The 12HP is not enough power to efficiently run the blower and the manual lift will be a challenge.   Changing this tractor from   blower to deck w/bagger will not be something you will want to do two times every year.

I would keep the 312-8 and use the deck and plow.     Sell the blower or look for a tractor with a hydraulic lift and a minimum of 16 HP  as a dedicated blower machine.

Please don't take this advice as a negative.  We are here to help and offer opinions based on our experiences.  Again, you got a real deal.

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

• Like 4

bswet1
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Here's the but...IMO, the 312-8 is not a good machine to operate a twin blower.  The 12HP is not enough power to efficiently run the blower and the manual lift will be a challenge.   Changing this tractor from   blower to deck w/bagger will not be something you will want to do two times every year.

I would keep the 312-8 and use the deck and plow.     Sell the blower or look for a tractor with a hydraulic lift and a minimum of 16 HP  as a dedicated blower machine.

Please don't take this advice as a negative.  We are here to help and offer opinions based on our experiences.  Again, you got a real deal.

No offense taken. It makes sense as to what you are saying- I wasn't sure why this had this blower on it as I thought it was a little big itself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut
18 minutes ago, bswet1 said:

I wasn't sure why this had this blower on it

:WRS:                                  image.jpeg.c07280524887ecb9c673dae57c495515.jpeg

:text-yeahthat:           Most parts of New Jersey don't get the huge snowfalls that would demand a two stage blower. Unless you are in a heavy snow area the snowplow will probably be all you need.

• Like 1

F. Marra 17
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:                                  image.jpeg.c07280524887ecb9c673dae57c495515.jpeg

:text-yeahthat:           Most parts of New Jersey don't get the huge snowfalls that would demand a two stage blower. Unless you are in a heavy snow area the snowplow will probably be all you need.

I have a 2 stage on my 4-14.  The manual lifting isnt fun, but its also not a deal breaker if your springs are taught.  I'm also located in NJ and 14hp sends the snow into my neighbors yard. I also lube the chute and auger box prior to every use.  I posted a video a while back not sure if its still viewable. good luck with your new machine.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
6 minutes ago, F. Marra 17 said:

I have a 2 stage on my 4-14.  The manual lifting isnt fun,

Just curious Marra,  Do you also mow with it ?   What is the change over like?

F. Marra 17
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just curious Marra,  Do you also mow with it ?   What is the change over like?

No, I dont mow with it.  I do have a like new 48" deck that has barely been used.  I work 6, sometimes 7 days per week so I pay the local landscaper to hit my lawn once a week just becasue I dont have the time.  I do pull the snowblower off every season though and its fairly simple.  I'd say it takes me around 30 minutes to attach the and detach the blower and tire chains.  I made a makeshift crane and harness that attaches to my front tach and I carry the blower to the sheds with that.  It is a heavy SOB.  In the spring, summer and fall I use the tractor to pull a dump trailer for cleanup, and also pull a dethatcher, aerator.

wh2.jpg

wh3.jpg

• Excellent 6

bswet1
49 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I am in the furthest northwest corner. We usually have a decent snow total each year. That could be why I am figuring. Plus my driveway is quite large

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, F. Marra 17 said:

No, I dont mow with it.  I do have a like new 48" deck that has barely been used.  I work 6, sometimes 7 days per week so I pay the local landscaper to hit my lawn once a week just becasue I dont have the time.  I do pull the snowblower off every season though and its fairly simple.  I'd say it takes me around 30 minutes to attach the and detach the blower and tire chains.  I made a makeshift crane and harness that attaches to my front tach and I carry the blower to the sheds with that.  It is a heavy SOB.  In the spring, summer and fall I use the tractor to pull a dump trailer for cleanup, and also pull a dethatcher, aerator.

wh2.jpg

Thanks, some good info there for @bswet1 on what it takes to handle the twin and the amount of rear weight it takes to balance out the beast on the front.

• Like 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I too am concerned for the power needs of the 2 stage, but have no 2 stage experience.  Oh bummer, an excuse to need another tractor!  Shucks.

Ed Kennell

I gotta know...what's on the other end of the string that is tied to the lift lever?

bswet1
24 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I gotta know...what's on the other end of the string that is tied to the lift lever?

Good question.... I will take a gander this weekend and find out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

R Scheer

I'll disagree with Ed Kennell on the power.  I've run the duece on my 312h for the last 30 years, and it suits my needs without any issues.  It depends on how much area you're clearing, and the type of snow you get.  More power would be nice, but I wouldn't underestimate the 312, just take it slow and it will do the job.  Just my opinion.

The blower is a beast however, I've arranged the shed so I can drive in and drop the blower for the summer, drive in and attach it for the winter.  Manual lift will be interesting, if I remember right it's 350 pounds.  

I forgot my manners, welcome to Red Square!  You'll have a hard time finding a more helpful group.

Edited by R Scheer