RED-Z06

416-H wiring at 9pin plug.

RED-Z06

I got my new plug in and as soon as i started messing with the plug it fell apart, wires broke off...so i had no idea where the wires went...so i figured id use bullet connections, 7 wires total.

Heres my problem.  The engine side has 2 reds...one im assuming goes to the starter for 12v because its always hot. The other is B+ off the regulator. The tractor side only has 1 red.

The wiring diagram isnt much help...but it shows B+ on the tractor side as white?

RED-Z06

Figured it out...my B+ is red and should be white...white isnt used on tractor side.

• Like 1

RED-Z06

Everything works great now...charging better than ever, starts are crisp...should have addressed this years ago

• Excellent 1

squonk

9 pin molex connectors are horrible. Add in the proximity to the battery and muffler heat. When I had a 520. I cut the wires way back to there origins. Extended them with new individual connectors and moved the plug connection to the other side of the tractor away from the heat and battery fumes.

Handy Don
3 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

I got my new plug in and as soon as i started messing with the plug it fell apart, wires broke off...so i had no idea where the wires went...so i figured id use bullet connections, 7 wires total.

Heres my problem.  The engine side has 2 reds...one im assuming goes to the starter for 12v because its always hot. The other is B+ off the regulator. The tractor side only has 1 red.

The wiring diagram isnt much help...but it shows B+ on the tractor side as white?

General rule: take ALL wiring diagram colors as well-intentioned advice, not gospel. Trace, check, label.

• Like 1

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, squonk said:

9 pin molex connectors are horrible. Add in the proximity to the battery and muffler heat. When I had a 520. I cut the wires way back to there origins. Extended them with new individual connectors and moved the plug connection to the other side of the tractor away from the heat and battery fumes.

I was good until i started crimping the pins on and they pulled out...trash

rick

The open barrel connector terminals supplied with Molex and Deutsch connectors are designed to be crimped with an open barrel crimper.  Using other pliers to crimp them isn't usually successful.

Just sayin'.

• Like 1

RED-Z06
18 minutes ago, rick said:

The open barrel connector terminals supplied with Molex and Deutsch connectors are designed to be crimped with an open barrel crimper.  Using other pliers to crimp them isn't usually successful.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, got a pair, couldn't find them because its probably been a decade since i last used them.  I used my ratcheting crimper, they just didn't hold well enough.  

• Like 1