Racinbob

Hurricane Ian

Racinbob

Not good folks. Send your prayers to them. We have been following this closely because our youngest daughter and family are still living there. We just watched the 5:00 update. The track is now directly over them. There's still time for it to change but it likely won't be by much. They are smart kids and we know they will do the right things but we still worry. I don't see any life threatening where they are at but Charley went directly over us in 2004. It took some shingles off, damaged some of the overhang and a gazillion trees but nothing like other folks. The worse part was no power for 6 days. Miserable. The biggest difference is Charly came ashore quite a bit south of where Ian will so it had more land to cross and weaken plus it moved very fast. Not Ian. 

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 6

953 nut

Now that the track of the storm has dropped south a bit I have a granddaughter, son, daughter-in-law and brother-in-law and family all in harms way. They are central and east coast so the impact wont be as great. I pray for the wellbeing of the people in Fort Meyers and surrounding areas.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 5

Sparky

Hope your kids stay safe! 
  My son and brand new daughter in-law set off on a cruise (honeymoon) last Sunday outa somewhere near Orlando. Can’t communicate with them while they are on the boat. That’s driving my wife nutz!

• Sad 2
  • Heart 3

Racinbob
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Now that the track of the storm has dropped south a bit I have a granddaughter, son, daughter-in-law and brother-in-law and family all in harms way. They are central and east coast so the impact wont be as great. I pray for the wellbeing of the people in Fort Meyers and surrounding areas.

Absolutely. As much damage as we had was squat. I was in Ponta Gorda a week after the storm hit. Our roads were lined with destroyed trees and such. Down there they were lined with personal belongings, appliances, furniture etc. It brought a tear. 

• Heart 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

My son and brand new daughter in-law set off on a cruise (honeymoon) last Sunday outa somewhere near Orlando. Can’t communicate with them while they are on the boat. That’s driving my wife nutz!

Do you know their destination ports of call?

• Like 1

Rob J.

My son all of a sudden is paying attention to the weather. Wouldn’t have anything to do with his name being Ian, nahhh

I’m thankful to live where I live. Pure Michigan baby! 

Good luck all you FLA peeps! 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11

Wonder what old @RED-Z06 is thinkin' :ph34r:

Don

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Prayer to all in harms way, sounds like it's gonna be a bad one!! 

Randy

• Heart 1

squonk

There are dummies wandering out into the water in Frt. Meyers! :disgust:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19richie66

Both of my kids still live in central florida and the current track takes it right over their city. My Aunt lives in a small house in Tampa and she said she was staying. I fear for her but she has managed these before. All in all it doesn’t look good for the west coast area of Florida. My son in law is a lineman with Duke power. He has already been called in and no telling how long he will be out before he gets to come home. That leaves my daughter and granddaughter at home by themselves. I’ll be watching and waiting for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Horse Newbie
8 hours ago, squonk said:

Don’t fret for them… they’ll be fine.

Good ole southern boys … they are well versed at these type of antics. I heard one of them being interviewed by a news reporter right before he went in… he said “Watch this, hold my beer” !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Horse Newbie
23 hours ago, Sparky said:

@Sparky

I would believe that if they are on a cruise liner, they are safe and sound. I know the cruise line was well prepared to detour safely out of the storms path…

• Like 2

Sparky
55 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@Sparky

I would believe that if they are on a cruise liner, they are safe and sound. I know the cruise line was well prepared to detour safely out of the storms path…

Thanks! And your right. They contacted us today and said they are having a great time. The ship just stays away from all the storm ruckus as much as possible. 
  So now the wife and I can stop worrying about them. 
Really hope all of you with family and friends in the storms path get good news phone calls! 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

RandyLittrell

Watching all the coverage of the hurricane damage is so sad, I hope all of you that had love one's down there, they got out safe or made it through okay. Florida will not be the same for sure. 

Randy

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Watching all the coverage of the hurricane damage is so sad

The TV coverage is only two dimensional, doesn't smell bad and goes away with the click of a switch. The people who are dealing with the storm's aftermath have my heartfelt sympathy. I know all too well what they are facing and how long they will be dealing with it. God bless them and the people who are coming from all over the country to help.

I went through Andrew in '92 and the debris was everywhere for miles in all directions. My house had minimal damage and I was fortunate enough to have electricity restored in about three weeks. If I never hear the sound of countless generators running it will be a blessing.

The vacant property across the street from my house became a mountain of trash and the sound of trucks dumping stuff off was 24-7. Once the county dump had a place for the trash to be taken the parade of dump trucks and the skip loaders that filled them were non-stop. Sun up to sundown all you heard was generators and nail guns as the reconstruction began.

I had the good fortune of owning a house a couple hours north of Homestead, FL so I was able to get away on days off and had stores to shop in for the coming week's provisions. The few stores that were open in Homestead and surrounding areas couldn't keep up with the demand. 

It took over a year to get things back to a reasonable level of normalcy.

• Heart 3

Racinbob

Our prayers go out to the folks in the southwest and central Florida areas. Hopefully you've been in contact with your family. The east coast was mainly a rain event with some damage. Deltona is pretty much under water since it was built on pretty much a swamp. Our daughter took this picture of the dock I built years ago. The two posts sticking out of the water are actually 4' above the dock platform. Shortly before selling the house to move back up here the water was so low I was mowing around those posts on the tractor and I'd just have to duck a little to go under it. At it's normal depth the water is about 30' out from the chain link fence. 

998815126_Dock2.jpg.174f32cc0b4e22cebceb0f4fed8c69b3.jpg

• Like 3

RandyLittrell
7 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The TV coverage is only two dimensional, doesn't smell bad and goes away with the click of a switch. The people who are dealing with the storm's aftermath have my heartfelt sympathy. I know all too well what they are facing and how long they will be dealing with it. God bless them and the people who are coming from all over the country to help.

I went through Andrew in '92 and the debris was everywhere for miles in all directions. My house had minimal damage and I was fortunate enough to have electricity restored in about three weeks. If I never hear the sound of countless generators running it will be a blessing.

The vacant property across the street from my house became a mountain of trash and the sound of trucks dumping stuff off was 24-7. Once the county dump had a place for the trash to be taken the parade of dump trucks and the skip loaders that filled them were non-stop. Sun up to sundown all you heard was generators and nail guns as the reconstruction began.

I had the good fortune of owning a house a couple hours north of Homestead, FL so I was able to get away on days off and had stores to shop in for the coming week's provisions. The few stores that were open in Homestead and surrounding areas couldn't keep up with the demand. 

It took over a year to get things back to a reasonable level of normalcy.

I mainly grew up in Greensburg,Ks and it was devastated some years back by a cat5 tornado, we had moved away by then but went back to help friends and just as you said, pics don't do justice! It's been a long time now, but friend still have panic attacks when there are tornado warnings and the town is completely different now. My heart goes out to all those affected!!

Randy

• Heart 2

Sparky
On 9/27/2022 at 9:01 PM, Pullstart said:

Do you know their destination ports of call?

Oops, just saw your question. 
  So Tuesday was Nassau Bahamas, Thursday was Jamaica (both of these happened) and I think Friday or Saturday was slated for Haiti. Not sure if the last one happened. They float back in Sunday morning at like 5am and fly home from Florida to Connecticut that afternoon. 

• Like 3

clueless
On 9/28/2022 at 9:29 AM, squonk said:

Down here we call them snow birds but dummies well work. The thing is after their first cat 3 they learn.

Edited by clueless
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1