D_Mac

C-175 Twin Automatic

D_Mac

Well fellas I may be going to the dark side. Going to look at one tomorrow. You know the story, ran a couple years ago when parked. Now no spark. Has mower deck with new blades and belt. Tires have new tubes. Has the plastic rear fenders/ seat pan that's busted up. I have no experience with the kohler twin. I know you like pictures but don't have any. Any helpful suggestions on what I need to look at tomorrow? Any idea what a replacement metal seat pan / rear fender unit will run? Worth ? I'd like to save it but really don't have the room for another but that's never stopped me before. Like to hear all your input. Thanks

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

Dark side??? :confusion-confused: :angry-tappingfoot: :angry-nono:

Love the Black Hoods!!! :ph34r:

No experience with the twins either, but other than the plastic fenders, which are an easy fix or swap for metal - cheap, they’re all great tractors… :twocents-twocents:

• Like 2

D_Mac
18 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Dark side??? :confusion-confused: :angry-tappingfoot: :angry-nono:

Love the Black Hoods!!! :ph34r:

No experience with the twins either, but other than the plastic fenders, which are an easy fix or swap for metal - cheap, they’re all great tractors… :twocents-twocents:

What do they swap with ? Any 300 .. 400... 500 series?

• Like 1

c-series don

I had a C-175 Twin Automatic with the factory series one 17hp Kohler. I’ll be the first to admit I’m not the best small engine mechanic in the world, but after 35+years of tinkering with small engines I gave up on this one. I just couldn’t get it to run perfectly, like I have others that I received that didn’t run at all.  

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Now no spark.

3 hours ago, D_Mac said:

what I need to look at tomorrow?

Points.  Probably corroded.

Mine's still going strong.

edgro

I have a C175, it's been my snow plow tractor for 25+ years. Series 1, always used on level ground. It has been a good tractor, burns no oil. I've replaced the coil, engine mounts, fender, and usual maintenance stuff. I have a 417A, same KT17, but series 2, bought with "engine problem, running on one hole". I lapped  and clearanced valves, replaced coil, and got it to run. Burns oil pretty bad, so it's a backup tractor for now. It had always been hard to start, thought it was ignition related. The fuel pump went out, an electric pump upgrade solved the starting issue. I recently got a second 417A, it was packed with mouse nesting under the tins, so I would look for that. This one starts right up, sounds good. Also just got another C175, bought as a parts tractor with an unknown engine problem. This one has the Sunstrand trans, the other C175 has the Eaton trans.

SylvanLakeWH
7 hours ago, D_Mac said:

What do they swap with ? Any 300 .. 400... 500 series?

I’m not sure on all of them. Gas tank hole is the key line up on the two I have…

• Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, D_Mac said:

You know the story, ran a couple years ago when parked. Now no spark.

I have a few twins and love the power and the sound of them. Clean the points with a crisp new $ 100 bill :scared-eek: (OK, could us an old $ 1 bill) and be sure that the coil "+" is getting 12 volts. No different than any other battery powered ignition system.

I would also suggest new fuel lines and an electric pump. The mechanical pump is on the top of the engine and can take forever to prime if it isn't in prefect condition.

• Like 2

pacer

I had one with the series 1 engine -- bought it with the comment "dont know whats wrong with it, it just wont start" $150 and I loaded her up. Problem quickly found coil bad, had seen a couple Harley coils in the local flea mkt and went and got 2 for $5. Ran like a champ.

Over the yrs here on the forum I seem to recall several posts with the coil being bad on the KT17 -- maybe that system likes to eat coils, might be a good thing to ck on this one.

D_Mac

Well I went to look at it this morning. I didn't pull the trigger. I think this was the first Wheel Horse I went to look at and didn't bring home with me. The rear fender/seatpan was so busted the seat couldn't be attached. The wiring was a mess. Mower deck was full of holes. I couldn't see paying his asking and he didn't want to budge so I walked away. 

• Like 3

Pullstart

Can’t win ‘em all!  I have a C-101 steel seat pan that is a direct swap for the plastic ones.  Or some day I’ll get rolling again on my GT-6.5 sheet metal project using a set of GT14 tins…

52CF4B6E-F5E2-4E55-8EF9-3F8C1E5000CF.jpeg

41EE5916-1CAA-460D-B245-5931CFBDB552.jpeg

1DB694B1-EC9C-4153-9597-1B0D9B2135BA.jpeg

• Like 1

D_Mac
22 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Can’t win ‘em all!  I have a C-101 steel seat pan that is a direct swap for the plastic ones.  Or some day I’ll get rolling again on my GT-6.5 sheet metal project using a set of GT14 tins…

I may go back to it. What what a seat pan cost with the shipping ? Probably more then what I wanted to pay for the tractor.

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I may go back to it. What what a seat pan cost with the shipping ? Probably more then what I wanted to pay for the tractor.

Yeah, shipping something that huge (and vulnerable to damage) might not be the most efficient.  :eek:

squonk

Tractor doesn't run. How do you know if it doesn't have a knock in it! Automatic trans.can't drive it. How do you know if it's any good? Tractor doesn't roll easy. How you gonna get it on your truck? Unless he comes down some. PASS

D_Mac

I almost bought it just for the hub caps. I will keep pestering him as I know now his wife wants it gone. He said someone else had interest in it. We will see. If the back end wasn't so busted up I'd be more comfortable rolling the dice on it.